don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    That is fucking win.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yes it is, that's an amazingly cool idea. Kudos!

Tweaker - this is the 786th post in this ENORMOUS thread. At the very least can it be split into a few seperate topics, if not a subforum?

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    That is really cool.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I feel like I'm repeating myself here. Don't bother with the underwater crap—it's not part of the project's goal. This is not a game of extras, this is a version of the final Sonic 2 with improved graphics and sound. End. It should be completely unchanged outside of those two aspects.

No. Stop fucking asking—if I'm going to do something, I'll do it, and I don't need twenty people repeating the same bullshit over and over again because if anything, that'll discourage me from wanting to do anything.

5. Skaarg

Skaarg

I suppose a border wouldn't be too bad, so long as it's something simple like just plain black. I just would hate to see this beautiful art end up looking like shit being stretched on most newer computers since 4:3 monitors and tvs are getting phased out slowly it seems.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Why?

(It's not like I'm going to search this topic to see if you already answered this before. It's way too big for that. :P)

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This was clearly an awesome idea. :P

Also, someone asked, SMG actually did use what were effectively two different tracks. One was a straight MIDI basically for underwater (Floater Land, the underwater fortress song, used one that had a "new age" synth and pipe organ as its main instruments) and the other used some live instruments over what was a pared-down file with only a little synth and more live instruments* (I'm pretty sure the brass and strings in that same song were live).

*Actually, one of the songs was just two different MIDIs, the one for the level with the penguins.

There might have been added effects to the underwater acoustics, but this is also true.

Either way, I'm good with just applying a filter to the audio like that and having it as a muted track most of the time on that level.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Then I'm not going to answer it again! :3

9. Bibin did you use a low-pass filter for that or something else? In any case it's what we're looking for.

Tweaker, I know that you have expressed disdain at the idea of adding this effect to the music, but I think it would just be a cool extra if it was not too difficult to add. It seems to have support from the members.

Speaking of the difficulty of adding this effect in real-time, I don't know that it's necessarily as hard as Bibin has made it sound because I don't know the engine we're using to do this. We may be able to integrate some simple real-time effects. It's not like this is a convolution reverb, which eats gargantuan amounts of processing power to render in real-time.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh god yes black border. Try playing a force-PAL Sonic 2 vs Sonic 3 in Kega - Sonic 3's comes off as widescreen cropping, whereas S2's is every colour under the bloody rainbow and looks ugly.

Tweaker - fine, don't bite my head off =P

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Also, anything above 1280x800 is not going to fit my monitor. If we want widescreen in this, we should go with at least 1280x720 as a minimum just because it's a reasonable monitor resolution.

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I don't think there's any problem with adding awesome audio effects; we can even make it an option. We're trying to take a great game, and bring it into the next age, while not ruining it. That said, there's no harm in adding extra things like semitransparencies, audio effects, and probably even some basic lighting effects in the foreground. The core game will still be the same.

13. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Give us time and it will shine bright.

Now that's unexpectedly cool.
    Should we choose to include it or not due to original's incoherency I'd say yes.

At least an option should be added for such a great ambient effect.
    Good contribution Bibin, great one.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's not "awesome," it's annoying. You all think it's awesome because you think it's some amazing feat to be accomplished—I can do the same goddamn thing in about 3 seconds with a multiband compressor, which is probably what he used to do it.

I can't believe what extremely low standards most of you have. This is why the community is seldom full of anything but horrible palette swaps and overused hack ideas, and it's the same reason why memes get killed out so fast—nobody has any creativity, and when they do, everyone bandwagons over it. If you want this project to succeed, and if you want me to dub it as some sort of official forum project and offer moderation support towards it, then you need to consider your priorities a lot better than you are right now.

This crap was annoying when Sonic Rush did it, too. When I'm playing through a level and enjoying the awesome music (especially for a level like Chemical Plant), I want to be able to hear it throughout the whole stage—hell, a lot of the time I'll go slower just to hear it more. I don't want my music to be muffled and unintelligible just because I decide to step in the water, which is necessary at quite a few points in the level. Furthermore, this "playing two tunes at once and muting one when in the water" crap is equally unnecessary. This project is going to be limited enough to certain platforms as is with such an obscene resolution; we don't need more things bogging it down all to hell.

15. Flare

Flare

I could see it work in CPZ, because you don't spend a lot of time underwater, if it was applied to something such as Aquatic Ruins it would make it more annoying since part of the level is underwater.

And Tweaker, if you just want to hear the music, play the song, you don't need to go to the trouble of going slow on a zone to hear it, you are just making a fuss over an idea that you don't like.

16. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Okay, slow down guys. If you all are *truly* serious about this project, then you have to buckle down and design things logically. Throwing around cool ideas and crap is fun and such, but any project that has any hope of being completed needs to be broken down to its most basic components and logically arranged. This means making concrete decisions. You won't be able to determine everything in advance, but you should definitely try, and not muck about doing random art conversions or random music arrangements or throwing out random enhancements just because they're "cool." Neither me nor Taxman will be able to do anything programming-wise without a plan, and I have a hard time believing anyone else will either.

So just step back and take a look at what we have and what the contributors are capable of, and go from there. Haphazard progression will only lead to failure, I guarantee it.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, and you don't need to play a zone to see its art in this case, either. In fact, why bother even making the game? We have the material right here! It doesn't make a difference whether it's playable or not! ;)

18. Flare

Flare

"In this case", because its a remake of a game, but you never said anything specially to this HD thing, you were referring to Rush and Chemical plant.

19. Tweaker, the only reason why the idea was even in play is because it is, in principle, not a hard thing to do. I'm trying to understand whether you disagree mostly because it shows "cheapness" in some way or because you personally don't want it in your playing experience. Both of these points I can see and especially the first I can be persuaded to join. Did you feel it was cheap and unwelcome in SMG?

Also, and this is directed at everyone, it's just an idea at this point. We're all acting like this is definitely or definitely not going into the game. We should evaluate these things in context (I.e. ingame) before making a decision one way or another. I'm sure hundreds of ideas, great or not, were shot down by Naka and Yasuhara even after they'd been implemented. Look at all the stuff in the Wai Beta that got thrown out by the Final.

20. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Okay I'm glad you did this because I thought I was going crazy being the only person who didn't like it. I think it's because I have this major fear of drowning though and the sound just... was like all my nightmares comes true. It's an interesting idea, but I think we should just try and keep it simple. Trying to add too many effects like that will just ruin the project IMO.

That star post looks cool BTW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.