don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Looks cool, but once again we have to talk about bits... =)

I assume 2-bit man gets his name from the fact that he's drawn with 3 colors + transparency, meaning that he needs 2 bits per pixel. If you use that same logic for the world, with 16 bits per pixel you can have 65536 colors at once, which is a freaking lot if we're talking about pixel art. However, your backgrounds appear to be constrained to limitations like those of 16-bit consoles, so I assume that's what you meant by 16-bit world.

My point is that there is an inconsistency about the name of the game, since the man is named in bits per pixel while the world is named after a console that could display it. I think you should pick one or the other: 8-bit man in 16-bit world (console) or 2-bit man in 4-bit world (bits per pixel). But even then there are problems, since there are 8-bit consoles that use 2bpp (NES, Game Boy) and 4bpp (Master System) graphics, so this bit count alone doesn't necessarily say anything about the graphics, as it actually describes the CPU in those consoles. On the other hand, defining everything in bits per pixel is not so easy either, since these old consoles usually had extra bits for selecting palettes to be applied to different areas of the screen, so even if a console uses 4bpp tiles, that doesn't mean that the entire screen will have only 16 colors.

Heh, given these complications I guess you can call the game whatever you think sounds good, because there is no way to select a name that is 100% accurate if you want to do it in terms of bits.

2. Tidbit

Tidbit

Well, er...thanks for clearing things up. And yeah I totally forgot about transparency, which means that my character is really using 5 colors instead of 4. I want to make the name accurate, but that seems rather impossible now with this newfound knowledge about bits, which completely eradicated what I thought I knew about bits. Which is a good thing, because I don't want to have an inaccurate name. But I'll think of something.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Just remove a color from him. :P

4. Tidbit

Tidbit

...Why didn't I think of that, I just recently added a color that wasn't even needed :psyduck:. Well that fixes the character, but the land might be a little bit tricky, but I think I have the color restrictions correct already.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I seriously don't know why it's a problem. When people hear "16-bit", chances are that they're going to think of that era in video game history. Even if it isn't correct technically, they point is very clear.

6. Tidbit

Tidbit

Thats a good point, I'll keep the name the same unless I decide to change the story for like the 3-4 time.

7. Yeah, except that the man is "2-bit". There are no 2-bit consoles, there is no 2-bit era, and my whole point was that the title mixes the meanings of the bits, the man being bits per pixel and the world an era of console history. I suggested he used only one meaning, either bits per pixel or console era, for both the man and the world.

The problem is that if you go with eras, an 8-bit man doesn't necessarily have to be constrained to 4 colors, since there are 8-bit consoles (e.g. the Master System) that use 16-color (4-bit) sprites. Similarly, not all 16-bit systems have 4-bit graphics (the Neo Geo Pocket for example has 2-bit graphics like the NES/GBC, but it also has more palettes, or the Intellivision, that has very rudimentary graphics but has a 16-bit CPU).

If you wanted to be accurate, you'd have to name actual consoles, like "NES man in Genesis world" or whatever consoles you pick. Or even specific video chips: "2C02 man in 315-5313 world". I'm not saying you should do that, but if you wanted to be correct that's what you'd have to do.

8. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Don't worry I got it and officially certify it as a cleaver title.

9. Tidbit

Tidbit

Im not really going by consoles. I'm going by color restrictions, 2bit is 4colors correct? Hence the reason the man only uses 4 colors. But I appreciate the fact you think its a cleaver title OB.

10. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rather than trying to improve my previous attempt, I decided I should just make new level art altogether.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Oh lol isn't this the flower from the OVA?

12. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I've never seen the OVA. I just decided to make a generic flower, but then I thought it didn't look "Sonic-y" enough, so I made it a star.

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

[​IMG]

Well you did a good job recreating the flower from the movie without knowing. The shape and colour scheme is identical.

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Holy jesus, my mind is blown. I swear I've never seen that, if you look closely at my screenshot, you'll notice that Sonic is walking over a purple star flower, which was made first. God that is scary...

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    So I'm creating a small game in XNA to help further my knowledge in how C# works:

I started the game this morning, it's is called "Chaoagotchi" and is a simple Tamagotchi/Virtual Pet game that is designed to run in the background (When not in use) while you continue with your every day computer browsing routine, but remember to keep checking back! For example, when you first run the game you'll be presented with a Chao egg:
    [​IMG]
    It just sits there quite happily until 5 minutes into the game:
    [​IMG]
    From here you'll need to make sure that your Chao remains well fed and happy, for example using the trumpet:
    [​IMG]
    Will keep the Chao's happiness up.

I know it's looking very bare at the moment, but the reason why I'm showing this project off so early is that I need some concept and direction from anyone reading this. The first thing I'm going to be concentrating on is the actual interface for the game, as well as mini games or something to increase or decrease the Chao's skills such as (Flying, Swimming, etc) So if any of you who is reading this has ay ideas for how the interface should work or how I could incorporates how to change the Chao's skills then fire away!

16. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    HEY GPS/VT
    Lookin for a bit of help here.

So I've made these trees for a Mother 3ish-style Sonic RPG I'm working on:
    [​IMG]
    I need to make them all dead and decaying; I got as far as changing the colours before I got completely stuck. My problem is I'm having trouble conceptualizing how these plants would look in such a condition; I want to keep the pseudo-realistic geometric Sonic style to them while still having them look like dead trees/flowers. Any ideas/suggestions?

17. GHFan

GHFan

When I see decaying plants, they are always green in the center, but with brown around the edges, and parts of them crumbled away. I think that might be what needs to be done.

the graphics themselves look excellent, and the idea of a Mother 3 style Sonic game intrigues me. Good luck!

18. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I suggest you take a look at a few of Sonic CD's Bad Futures.

19. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    Hmm, I should put some green in there, especially since it'll help them stand out against the brown grass.

That's actually the first thing I did; sadly the Futures replace the plants with mechanical-looking versions or remove them altogether.

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    So for anybody who remembers this old project of mine and what originally happened to it may find this image interesting.

[​IMG]

Let's just say that I'll have something in relation to this in the next three or so days.