don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Looks very hellish, which is what I wanted to do with Arid Temple when it was called "The Inferno"

2. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    Looks like Sonic Blitz is a reality now.
    May it prosper.

3. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    Lunacy says hi, and reminds you all not to forget about it~

[​IMG]

(Next time there'll be a new level to show, honest <3)

4. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Destructiox that back ground is kind of odd and you should probably make those bricks a lot bigger. As a rule in Sonic games the foreground patterns are bigger than what you've got there. I like you're hud its nice and modern.

5. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    The art was originally created by markeyjester, destrictiox proberly asked for it as markey was scrapping some levels before.

6. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    [​IMG]
    Knuckles, what are you doing here?

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Mockup or winning working epicness?

8. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

It works just like in HCZ2.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Love it.

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Oh hell yes!! awesome work D.A, it'll be nice to play an S3&K hack with the cutscenes altered, to appear different =)

11. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Is this something as simple as copying the dynamic level events from HCZ to ICZ, or have you actually recoded this yourself to duplicate the effects?

12. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    My thoughts exactly, hex edit? man that must be hard to do. But please, enlighten us.

13. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Ok, so this isn't as hard to do as many people think. No hex edit, no assembly mod, just use of already existing code. I'll explain.
    The Knuckles encounters are objects that are placed, but only work on specific X/Y axis. The art dynamically loads, as does the palettes and coding. I changed an object to the HCZ2 encounter object in ICZ2 and placed it at the same place, and sure enough, it works. The platform underneath however was more difficult. I tried using the standard bridge object, but the sub id didn't work the same way in ICZ, so I tried the same sub id on a different object (The breakable platforms) and luckily, it works. I don't know where these platforms are used in conjunction with a Knuckles event, but there is coding for them. The rest is a simple layout change to accomodate.
    Make of this what you will, but I thought the results were rather cool.

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that it being simple made it any less impressive, I was just curious as to how things like this were handled in S3K

15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Oh, right. I was a bit unsure, but now you know. Interestingly, all the Knuckles enounters are the same main object id with different subids, but they all have hard coded locations that they work at. You can move them slightly, but the screen lock is always in the same place for them, hindering full movement and manual placement.

On a side note, I tried to move CNZ2's Knuckles' lights out encounter to HCZ1 and well... I'll let these images do the talking. (No, this isn't being kept in the final)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You also die if you go downward on the Y axis too fast after triggering this, as the screen boundary lowers, but not fast enough.

16. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    The palette on the second picture made me curious about how the game handles it on that point: Is a new palette data being used from an external file or are the colours being put down by, say, each colour -4? Or is the palette I see there just the one from dark CNZ?

17. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    So... its cool in all, though I'm still wondering what you actually used in order to move the data/replace. I mean you need at least an hex editor or something to edit s3k. Am I right?

18. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Selbi: It loads Flooded CNZ2's palette.
    AnimeMaster: ESEII, like I have since the beginning. Just switched an object ID to the HCZ Knuckles cutscene object.

Anyway, I'd rather not discuss it further in here. There's a place for this sort of discussion and I don't think this thread is it.

19. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Ah right, didn't think it was THAT simple. Anyways I agree, lets move on. I like the CNZ idea, though perhaps something needs to be replaced for the lights out cus it doesn't really fit with HCZ.

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    New intro stage concept, named "Resistance Base Zone" (Very original, eh).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]