don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The first one looks better.

2. First one.

Oh, for those of you who haven't seen, CPZ art is close to completion.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3eAe7_EUE

I know that the one up song doesn't have the flag that makes it fade back in. I also know it has no bass, and that it sucks. I'm redoing it =P
    Note, that Master3k was kind enough to give me his FBZ port with the clap DAC and echo bug fixed, I transfered those voices via hex now. (Not in vid)
    I'll be making another vid when I'm arsed, some new sfx and shit are in....

3. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I prefer the second one. The head's a bit more rounded and overall it's more classic Sonic. Just the arm and hand look kinda strange.

4. Robjoe

Robjoe

They both look really cool, though I personally find the second's face to look a little odd.

Right, I figured I should go ahead and do some ROM hacking again, since it's been a little while. With that said, I've been spending the past month or so working on this:

[​IMG]

Getting to the point, I'm back to screwing around in S3K with pallettes, layouts, and other things. To aid me in this venture, I've been creating object definitions for use with SonED1, as seen above (I'd love to use SonED2, but at the moment, it seems to be more trouble than it's worth). Right now, I've got pretty much all the global objects and the MHZ specific objects done. If anyone gives a shit about the definitions, I'll release them when I get a decent amount done.

As for the hack itself, it's the same one I've been doing on and off since I got ahold of hacking tools about three years back. By this point, most of the pallettes are done and looking pretty nice, and there's a few layouts that don't outright suck (I still like what I did in DEZ1). There's also water added added to a couple zones, those being Marble Garden, Sandopolis (act 1 only), and Death Egg. I wanna stick with it this time and actually "complete" it. By that, I mean not only doing all the layouts and pallettes, but making them GOOD. Eventually, I hope to prove that it's possible to create a legitimate, if slightly simplistic, hack of S3K, since no-one seems to wanna touch the game.

Your thoughts?

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    That Mushroom Hill Zone screenshot looks great. I have wondered why no one has even done a layout and palette hack of Sonic3(&Knuckles), bar S3KME, which was done up to MGZ2, but then realise that the levels are pretty huge to begin with. That green variation on the grass is very soothing to the eyes. My only gripe is the object placement in that pick, with the badnik, the pole and the sign post so close together. Apart from that, it's looking great and the extra things you mentioned (water in Sandopolis 1, for instance) make it sound like a winner. Please continue with this, I would love to see it.

6. VivaLaVida

VivaLaVida

This Guy.... Member
    Editing layouts in SonED2
    Hello to everyone

This is a beta of my untitled Sonic 1 hack. I still plan to add spindash and edit the layouts. But this is what I have so far.

Levels:

Dusk Hill Zone (Green Hill Zone)
    Lost Temple Zone (Marble Zone)
    Emerald City Zone (Spring Yard Zone)
    Midnight Zone (Star Light Zone)
    Atlantis Zone (Labyrinth Zone)
    Robotopolis Zone (Scrap Brain Zone)
    The End Zone (Final Zone(No changes))

Some screen shots

[​IMG]

Sonic standing on a rock in Dusk Hill Zone

[​IMG]

Sonic waits around in Lost Temple Zone

[​IMG]

Sonic stands while a pig jumps across the screen in Emerald City Zone

[​IMG]

Sonic enjoys the night sky in Midnight Zone

[​IMG]

Sonic stands in awe looking at the lost city of atlantis in Atlantis Zone

[​IMG]

Sonic sees the city of Robotopolis where the evil Dr. Robotnik is hiding

Feedback and criticism is welcomed and appriciated. Thank you

VivaLaVida

7. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Some of the palettes are a bit too bright on the eyes, you should make them a little darker so that it wouldn't bother as much. Nice start on GHZ's though.

8. VivaLaVida

VivaLaVida

This Guy.... Member
    Thanks. I'll try and edit them today when I get some time

9. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]

10. VivaLaVida

VivaLaVida

This Guy.... Member
    Ok I changed most of my pallette's to make them a bit darker and this is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the only one that stayed the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

France
    Twitch channel
    I don't really get the point of changing level palettes anymore... I mean, besides his creator, who plays a hack that has other colors, or even some small level design edits?

12. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    My hack isn't really a big fancy ASM orgy(aside from 2 or 3 minor changes), but I have been working on layouts, and LOTS(which I will show soon, I need to finish off GHZ1 before I show anything). As for not-so-important palettes changes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I personally like this palette, and I'm keeping it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The yellow is a bit of an eyesore to me, and I imagine pretty much everyone else as well. =P It will be fixed though. I can't right now because I'm busy, I just got enough time to take the screens.

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    You've missed out the dark purple shade for the Marble Zone bricks. You make also need to smooth those palettes out a bit, since people may find them a bit to unpleasant for the eyes, try to tone them down a shade and see if that helps.

EDIT: Spelling

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I do, provided the palettes look nice and the layouts are fun to play.

Maybe you have obscene standards in what makes a hack fun, but I prefer to be a bit more realistic. Complicated ASM doesn't make a hack—good design choices do.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    VivaLaVida - please stop using JPG for screenshots and use either GIF or PNG. Both are much better quality for screenshots and are smaller to boot.

16. VivaLaVida

VivaLaVida

This Guy.... Member
    Sorry about that. I'll remeber that for the next time I post a screen shot.

17. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

France
    Twitch channel
    Original zones, bosses, badnicks are fun to play. A blue Green Hill zone is not.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Depends on the level design of said blue Green Hill Zone.

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It's a blue Emerald Hill, not a blue Green Hill. The overused palette in the case of GHz is a sunset one =/

Still, pink grass hurts D=

20. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all