don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Master3k

Master3k

^What they said.
    Hint for palettes: make them so all shades fit nicely. Ex: if you want a blue land, don't mix other colors like green and purple.

2. NinjaMan

NinjaMan

So... I'm thinking Sonic Advance is probably a bad place to start my rom hacking adventures.

[​IMG]

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I disagree! Outside of a very obscure one produced back in 2005, you would actually be the first person to attempt a Sonic Advance hack on any kind of gameplay-oriented scale. Potential troubles or not, I encourage you to persue whatever ideas you have in place for this hack—I'm looking forward to them! :)

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    What is this obscure hack you speak of?

5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
  6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]
    Sup guys, Buzz Bomber here. :)
    After snkenjoi ported the Crabmeat I decided to do this one and after shitloads of changes it's done. It works perfectly. I'm impressed since I usually fail at porting.

7. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I present FAILHACK!

[​IMG]

:eng101:

It was supposed to be a sonic boost kind of thing. I was trying to edit the code for the Spindash so that it you didn't have to duck and charge it up, it just went with the animation you see in the picture (but not garbled) I was just testing the animation and it animates :D but it's a garbled mess :( and it looks terrible XD

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The one thing I know about hacking is that problem since I ran into it back in the day. It has to do with VRAM. If you disable the points that come out of the enemies from loading on the VRAM then your animation will be normal (Numbers won't appear from enemies but whatever)

9. Master3k

Master3k

Yup. Also, I would remove the points from Pattern load cues.asm and the requests for loading the object on sonic1.asm, as it could free some space for other stuff (seeming as VRAM space is some rare stuff on Sonic 1, something I learned in the worst way), and it isn't a change that pisses anybody, I guess.

Also SOTI, good job at porting that badnik. I didn't noticed it was Sonic 2 at first. :U

EDIT:Forgot something.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
  11. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Thanks for the help! I set the points to be loaded up in a different part of the memory that was free and that got rid of them in my sprite but then something elce appeared :( So I've decided to try and make the boost effect act as a shield instead.

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Well I changed the Pallet for both Fire Path and I renamed "Neo Green Hill" to Sapphire Isle. I'm also working on new level layouts, and maybe new music, not sure about that though. Here are new screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I'll be honest, I like this, it feels... well I donno, dare I say unique? donno how, but what ever, I like it and that's all that matters to me =P

have you thought about making a palette cycle for that zone though? that would be sweet and maybe deformation waves to look like heat waves in the zone, that would really put the zone to it's name =D

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Those palettes are...

Um.

Putting yellow and blue - especially bright yellow and dark blue - together like that is pretty much asking for your players to get a headache. The contrast between the two colors is pretty ridiculous. Blue and yellow are opposite colors on the color wheel, basically making yellow the anti-blue.

Neither am I feelin' the black tiles, especially considering the way you have the shades arranged. Makes it look sort of like a glitch more than anything else - the yellow outline on the clouds' reflection makes me think of that, too.

Maybe you could try some shades that work better together?

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    For some reason this reminds me of the Episode of Family Guy when Stewie is coloring outside of the lines. It goes against our conventional rules, but he may like it. Some hacks are just for our own personal pleasure.

16. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Those light oranges on the bottoms of those blocks remind me of Ristar's third level. (The heat planet.) I was thinking something like this could work also.

He has to do something about that grass though...

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Change the pallette of the clouds to a lava type pallette, to give it a more heaty effect

18. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Uh, you inverted the color scheme for the blocks. Right now, it looks kind of crappy. Hint: if the original color is a dark color, replace it with a dark color too.

Also, yellow sky? You should probably change the color.

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
  20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Oh, sorry. ^^' I'll change the name.