don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Something:
    [​IMG]
    (Yeah, yeah, I have few things to fix, but at moment I have at least this to show).

Thanks to Theblad768 for the help.
    Edit:
    Improved a bit the palette.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I love that background, however I think a more basic color scheme would work better, kind of like the coloring of the Sonic 3 Data select background. The text is hard to see.

3. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

The simplistic color scheme in the official select/option screens in the genesis games were purposely to make it easy to read what's on the screen, anyway. Remember, the focus is meant to be the text, not the background.

4. Well, maybe it's can help:
    [​IMG]
    Feels better? A guy from another forum suggested for the background could be somewhat more transparent to get a better view.

Special thanks goes to AsuharaMoon.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Slightly, but not quite there yet.

[​IMG]

This is what I meant, it needs to be more monochromatic (I think that's the right word, either way it's varying shades of the same color). Does that make sense? The background itself is a very nice choice though. Plus as an added bonus if you do end up going that route, you can change the colors on the level select font. The yellow and green are a bit too glaring. You can also add more shading detail to Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails as well, as you'll have multiple shades of the same color to work with, rather than having to make compromises, such as you have done with Tails' shoes.

6. Flare

Flare

I agree with Dark Sonic, I think as a background it should be very subtle, especially with the font that is used which can be harder to read against more complicated colours. Something a bit more subtle where you still see the image but not the main focus would work more in your favour.

[​IMG]

Maybe along these lines?

7. Okay, something like that?
    [​IMG]
    Also, I've noticed that it was kind of difficult to see the "3 & Knuckles" text. Is it easier to see here?

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    It's still quite jarring. I think somewhere between what you already have and what Flare posted would be good, if possible, however.

9. Retroman

Retroman

Like Flare's version, but a bit more transparent I'd say.

10. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    I'm gonna deviate from the norm here a bit in suggestions.

Probably the most important thing you could do it make the text work with the background. Right now you've just got the left row crossing that black border and it just looks weird. I'd flip around the levels and the act/player selections so that the levels are all over top the white section and the player/act selection in the black part. Sorta like this: (Also messed with the palette a little. More desaturated.)
    [​IMG]

Now I'm going to get a bit radical here. We're talking minor ASM tweaks here. (Swap the palette/possibly art that's loaded when you switch characters.) Not saying that you need to (or even can) follow this advice, but I think it'd be neat if you could pull it off.

Make the characters in the background silhouettes, except the one that's selected. That way you both have increased readability of the text and an easy way to tell who you're playing as.
    Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You could even experiment with color, too.
    [​IMG]

Just throwing some ideas out there. Hopefully it'll steer you in the right direction.

11. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I thought this was the screenshots thread, not the help thread. My impression is that he was showing off something cool he'd done, not asking how you'd do it, and certainly not asking for fifty different mockups on how to make something that's almost entirely opposite of what he originally posted.

12. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Any time you post something publicly, you open yourself up to criticism. I'd say the criticisms have been remarkably constructive, all things considered.

13. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with criticism, like what went on in the previous page. But when it devolves into Hill Top tree levels of everybody posting what they think it should look like, then all the value is lost.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I don't think it's gotten quite to that level yet; it's more discussing ideas on how to make it actually viable as a background that doesn't burn your eyes out. The last post about it relating to a character select might be pushing it, but it starts off okay too.

tl;dr, don't worry we watch threads like these, and we'll police them as appropriate. :v:

15. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I got my small megadrive project reacting to drum beats last night :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCNJxWQgzE

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I love what you've done with the soundtrack. Any chance of a separate VGZ at some point?

17. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    the song used in the video is from streets of rage 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqyZhr-1ux8

18. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I thought OL was being sarcastic?

I'm aware it's not original music. I can't do music :(

19. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    overlord doesn't really strike me as the kind of person who'd say something like that sarcastically? it'd be a pretty rude thing to say anyway, considering the hacking community has been reusing music from other games for years.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, wow. Hahaha, shows how much Streets of Rage 2 I've played. Sorry for any confusion =P

For what it's worth RE the game, I took a look at the source title and it looks like you've done a very faithful job of the conversion!