don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

If a CD disassembly gets advanced enough development I'm all for trying Amy in Sonic CD. :D

2. Knuckles' Chaotix Remastered confirmed.

3. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    This picture shows that a Sonic CD disassembly is in the works and this was a test. Tails and Knuckles may become completely ported when finished.

EDIT: If anyone is curious, the disassembly is being worked on by me, flamewing, and TheStoneBanana (from SSRG)

4. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Nice!

For Knuckles, bonus points if you replace Sonic's "I'm outta here!" with "Oh no."

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

:D :D :D

You may open a whole new can of potential to the hacking community here. And is there anything Flamewing can't do?

6. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Uh, spoiler alert?

Seriously, don't count your chickens. PPZ1 is just a small part.

7. Shockwave

Shockwave

LA, CA
    Sonic: South Island Warped
    I will say that it's certainly the kind of thing that would probably have made a bigger (and more satisfying) impact if it were left as a surprise until finished. Regardless, I'm happy to know that there's a Sonic CD disassembley in the works for public release, even if I personally have no interest in modifying the game myself.

Also...
    This, please.

8. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    The hard part isnt to disassemble all the game, but rather making functional, efficient and useful disassembly without making it a mess. A great example of what not to do is S1CD disassembly, but having all the code duplicate for each file would not work at all either, so its definitely the hardest part.

9. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    [​IMG]
    What's happening here and why haven't I seen this done before?

To answer questions, I've only sorted it out for EHZ, which might explain for the second question.

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Sonic 2: Return to the Origin? If so, very yes please.

Edit: Oh, and as this is the screenshot thread..

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Time to get this finished properly.

11. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    To be honest, my contributions so far were changing the tile handling routines so that the chunk table can be moved and a 100% complete disassembly of R11A. TheStoneBanana and TheRoboticOverlord had their own disassemblies, which they used for the screenshot, but will be adapting stuff from mine as it is far more complete.

This is true. A lot of stuff remains to be done.

I disagree about S1CD; and things are bound to end up like that for SCD: SCD is very modular in design; it screams code reuse and splitting a disassembly into several code files, with generally only data differences between levels. Making one single file per level would be a singularly stupid design decision because any hack would have to edit every single act in exactly the same way.

I love everything about these screenshots. Please tell me the faces in the left are animated...

12. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

Finland
    AMPS
    ...And I told having separate level containing duplicate data for each level was not sufficient? And I meant S1CD is good attempt but does not really work for the user in many ways, especially the way the separate files are named and positioned; it makes it hard to find the exact code you are looking for. Simpler approach with more understandable and easily-to-approach structure would be necessary to make a good disassembly, and the structure S1CD has is at best a good attempt at that, but does not succeed. But to actually make such a structure be efficient and simple at the same time is a real design challenge, and I am sure requires some experimentation and testing to make a final product.

13. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    The long awaited sequel to Metal Sonic Hyperdrive is finally in the works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnymylqWuY0

Since Scrap Brain Zone (1&2) is one of my favorite levels, it'll be a pleasure to run it with this hack. Act 3 will also be a blast if you don't plan on heading to the quick shortcut.

14. LoneDevil should do completely original music for this hack instead of recycled music from other games

15. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

Oh yes, please. I really, really love that hack. Also, please do blood stains on the floors of Scrap Brain. =V

Same, same.

16. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

Finland
    AMPS
    If it's a sequel, why does it look exactly the same as the original? It looks more like a new version rather than a sequel honestly.

17. JoenickROS

JoenickROS

Sonic 2: Return of Shadow
    That's because it was an April Fools Joke, it was April 1st yesterday, he did it on SSRG as well. Anyway I don't feel like quoting all of the awesome things posted here in the last couple of days, instead I'll just type your name and explain what I liked about what you did.

Cinossu: You already know what I think about this, but Ill say more, Its really cool your still working on this, and even though I never played it fully, I still think its an interesting concept non the less, so keep it up.

Hitaxas: Hmm I really enjoyed Sonic 1 Return to the origin, interested to see what it will be like in S2, if that is what your trying to show us, regardless interested to see what your doing.

ArtmeierCompanies/Stonebanana/Flamewing: Wow that would be a big accomplishment if you guys disassembled every MMD, and made them all be able to be built together, might considering doing something with it if you succeed, defiantly wont be a walk in the park from what I've heard, but I still have faith in you guys.

Anyway I also came here to post some screenshots of a move that some of you may already have seen, but at the time wasn't fully complete.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wish there was some way I could make this more useful, but for now its just used for getting items. It is a possibility to find nothing, but I might consider changing it to something harmful. I could also have an item you can find that destroys all enemies on screen, like in SA2, let me know what you guys think.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Don't make it penalize the player, otherwise people will be too scared to use it ever. And they should want to use it because that move is super fun to use in other games and it looks like you've done a great job implementing it here. Just make sure the buried items don't pop up too frequently and it'll be fine. I think it would be really neat if you could use it to pass through soft ground/walls and get to Knuckles exclusive routes (kind of like Sonic Advance 2) but I don't know what the scope of your hack is.

That background looks fantastic by the way, I love it.

19. JoenickROS

JoenickROS

Sonic 2: Return of Shadow
    Thanks for the C@C, I won't penalize for digging, also the Sonic Advance 2 thing its a bad idea. I forgot to mention you can thank Blazer for the background and Asuharamoon for the Knuckles digging sprites, also the current items on screen code was given to me by Shockwave, that I edited a bit. Also it is more common to find nothing than an item, so no need to worry about things popping up too frequently, thanks for mentioning it though.

20. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Looky here, it's Knuckles in Sonic CD....

[​IMG]