don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Ahahahah, nice. I always thought it sounded more like "Arges", or "Our Guess", or similar, rather than an "is" at the end, but brilliant all the same. :v:/>

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Please trash this... IDK why I posted it here. Must've been asleep at the wheel, figuratively speaking

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    [​IMG]

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    [​IMG]

A glimpse of my full Sprite Editor. DPLC Editing is shown here. The dropbox that says DPLC Editing will switch to Mappings, Animations, Cycling Palettes, and Palette Art Converting.

I ask again about any desired DPLC editing functions you guys might want. Lemme know.

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Now THAT looks cool! Is there a way to set a starting pattern address? For example, the sprites themselves for an object might be set as say 0002, but this is added to the pattern index stored in the objects SST.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    No but I can certainly manage such a thing. That especially be useful with loading dumped VRAM as a tileset. Consider it added.

7. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I would consider it a major feature if your editor does not choke on the optimized mappings and DPLC that my mappings command-line tool outputs. I can send some samples to you, if you need; SonMapEd chokes on them and garbles everything, but they work perfectly in game.

8. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Yes, please do send me a couple samples, preferably one or two of each format.

I've got MainMemory's format working pretty well, as well as SonMapEd's output. Triad even reads its own saved output. So yours, and anyone else's... I'm happy to be able to make sure that Triad can tackle them all before release.

9. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Very yum indeed. A small "feature" request I'd have is an underlay for the preview pane, showing the outline of a standard MD screen (320x224), possibly with a way to customise an image underneath; so editing mappings for screen-locked objects becomes easier.

10. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ooh... that's a good idea Cinossu! Actually once I reconfigure the drawing surfaces for the Sprite Window, I think such a thing will be quite easy to put in.
    Also thank you all for the feedback thus far guys!

11. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Oh, another one: have an easy way to see the flags applied to a sprite piece: if it is flipped or not (X, Y), if it is set for high priority or not, and which palette line it is using. Preferably without having to open a window like in SonMapEd.

12. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    The check boxes in the mapping editing settings will do this for you. They appear very similar to what you see in the shot above. There is a viewable/editable setting for every facet of mapping piece data, save for Sonic 2's 2P data... Im still working on a way to put that in. But yea, you all should be pleased with the result as I've had the same complaint about SonMapEd.

Ill show Shots of the other editing portions either tonight or tomorrow when im not working.

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The S2 2p data is very simple: you take bytes 2 and 3 (0-based) of each sprite piece (which is the pattern name); then you do this:
    Code (Text):
    1. pattern_name_s2_2p = ((pattern_name & 0x7FF) / 2) | (pattern_name & 0xF800);
    That is the only thing the original game did when switching from 1p mode to 2p mode as far as mappings are concerned. SonMapEd only divides the second byte (byte 3) by 2, which is why it can get them wrong.

14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Thanks for the note on that! Ill look more into the 2P sprites deal once I get the other things done.

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    [​IMG]

An update, with some of the new requested stuff. As you can see we are now in Mapping Editing instead of DPLC editing, with the Base offset, an accompanying button quickly setting the current tile to the Base Offset for ease, a Zoom function, centering lines, an origin marker properly placed, and a screen underlay, all toggle-able. Finally there is a 2P sprite mode button to enable/disable... though I haven't gotten that working yet. More to come, and I'll add more stuff too so lemme know.

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Might I suggest adding a piece preview like in SonMapEd? You know, the 4x4 box of sprite pieces that start with the currently selected piece. Unless you have a better idea for that.

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Thats actually what the Piece Viewer is supposed to double as, just to the upper right of the larger sprite window. I designed it to accomodate a similar purpose while taking less space. Itll also serve a click and place function much like SonMapEd's does.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Horizontal and vertical rulers please!

19. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'll need to look into how to do API rulers in Game Maker, as well as how exactly I'll make them work... and it's something that has been requested so while I'll make an effort to do so, it won't come in the immediate future.
    Can you guys also point to me an example of an image editor (doesn't have to be a Sonic hacking tool) with rulers so that I have something to base it off of? I'm really not sure how I'd implement it.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I find that Adobe does this pretty well, personally. Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign in particular, allow you to dynamically change the unit of measurement (while InDesign specifically allows the X and Y axes to have different units), and drag out drawing guides. The rulers also scales with your current zoom level, giving more specific measurements as you zoom in (for example, at %100, it may show singular inches, but as you zoom in more it will begin to label measurement units by 1/2 inch, then 1/4 inch, etcetera). Not sure how practical some of these features are though in this case.