don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Hack of all hacks.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

I still think someone should turn it sideways, it'd be so much easier to get around =P

3. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    [​IMG]
    It's the last piece of my shit for the newbies to steal or copy the public.

4. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    DAT BACKGROUND. omg I love this to bits <3

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, that background will actually look better on a real Mega Drive than it did in the GBA.

I never understood why they had to use dithering in there, was the Advance that limited in terms of color depth?

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    That video mode still uses 4bpp tiles. There are more palettes, sure, but tiles are still restricted to 15 colors each.

7. Mikel

Mikel

It's been a while since I hacked a Sonic game, but I guess I will work on my Sonic 3K hack once more.

First off, an art edit I did for Hydrocity Zone:

[​IMG]

So far, I have edited the foreground for the level, but I still have to think of what I would like to put in the background.

C&C is welcome.

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The only thing I would do is make a shadow on the blocks that are halfway cut off by the floor tiles. The cut off doesn't make them seem like they're stacked on top of each other, or if it's a WIP, just eventually replace it with a new floor that's 16 pixels in height rather than 8. Would certainly help distinguish it from the original Hydrocity.

Anyway, I LOVE the fact someones doing art edits to S3K. Plan on getting rid of more tiles? The blocks from HCZ still in the foreground don't fit as well.

9. Mikel

Mikel

I am mainly going for a mix for Tidal Tempest Past and Present, but thanks for the tip of advice. ;)

Anyway, update:

[​IMG]

Still have more to do on the foreground, so it can be said to be partway done.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think your first shot looks better. :/

Still, it's great to see S3K getting some attention.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Yeah it's a bit better now, but that's not quite what I meant by changing the floor tile. I was thinking a new floor piece to contrast against the bricks, maybe something white?

12. Blaumagier

Blaumagier

My current project, very much still a WIP, is to insert Rouge the Bat into Sonic 1 as a fully playable character, and I intend to have her function the way she does in Sonic Adventure 2, minus the crappy digging/shard hunting aspect. Hopefully I'll get to that point and then be able to use this build for future projects involving Rouge as a playable character. I haven't gotten to any of the ASM hacking yet, aside from replacing the end of act title cards. The sprites were Sonic Battle sprites, edited by Joe The Echidna Fox to put Rouge in her Sonic Heroes outfit, but I had to edit the colors to get them down to 15 colors. I have almost all of the character art done and here's a few screen shots.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

For the most part I think the palette works out nicely and it seems only a few things such as, Buzz Bombers and Eggman, look very odd. I was thinking in the end I'd just redo those and hopefully make them look better. I think most of the Rouge sprites turned out pretty good, although I'm not entirely sold on my pushing animation. I'm still working on the title screen and ending sprites, but I found one picture on google, no idea who made it as there was no credit to it, but I reduced it down to 15 colors and I'm thinking about using it and trying to make variations for animations to use in the title screen.
    [​IMG]

Also, I found this sprite that someone named Mew Seeker had made on deviant art that I think would serve nicely as the final sprite in the ending if I could make it larger and a bit more detailed, although that's not really a specialty of mine.
    [​IMG]

13. Sparks

Sparks

http://www.spriters-resource.com/custom_edited/sonic/sheet/30168

14. Blaumagier

Blaumagier

Now those are some beautiful sprites. I think they might fit for Genesis sprites way better than the Battle sprites do seeing as the Battle sprites have that outline. I actually stumbled across those, myself, last night and have seriously been considering using them ever since. It's a shame there's no pushing or ending sprites on that sheet, though. I suppose I'm going to have to just man up and try to make something myself for that.

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Whenever I get bored with hacking Sonic Chaos, I hack Sonic 2 SMS. Here's a video of what I've done so far. I plan on editing layouts and art in the future, and I've added a very early WIP jumpdash.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OoS8IG_Bjk&feature=channel_video_title

16. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Well done.

As you know, I posted in this topic about the life counter in Sonic 2 SMS. Finally, I got the solution. The life counter in RAM is not BCD. I changed it to BCD by modifying every instance of it in the source code (I can give more details if needed).

Also, thanks to the disassembly, I finally made one of my challenges: create a three-digit HUD for the rings. It works perfectly! If you have 100 rings and get hurt, you don't die. Also, at the end of the level, you get bonus for all your rings over 100. There's only a problem: if you surpass 100 rings by getting a monitor, you don't get an extra life. This also happens in the original game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, the game shows problems. The edges of the levels aren't solid anymore and Sonic can get out of them, sometimes causing the game to crash. This is strange, because I didn't modify anything related to the edges of the levels. Also, if I modify the code of the collisions with monitors, the game crashes after a few seconds, even if I don't get any monitors.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Sonic 2 GG is my favourite handheld Sonic of them all. It shits on all the Advances and Rushes put together... it's alot better than Sonic Chaos too now I think of it.

Can't wait to see what you guys are gonna do with it.

18. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    So I was playing and messing up with the ReadySonic's special stage files and I became inspired to customize the first two special stages, those are seen in the following video.

So what do you think? Are they ok?

I'm taking your opinions. :)

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I see lots of sprite overflow in those special stages. You should avoid putting long straight walls. Also this is an issue when you put lots of objects together (e.g. at the end of the special stage 2 in the video).

Yes, I'm mean with that, but for some reason almost everybody seems to get it wrong =|

20. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Oh, now that you're saying that, I do see some sprite overflow, thanks for that, I might think on another design for those crystal groups. I will slightly edit it later.