General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't know, I've always seen it more or less like Vincent's version. Even if it wouldn't really make much sense.

2. I have to agree with wangle. The hand should look more like that. Otherwise, it would just look weird. ;)

3. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Misfit
    While I see what you are saying, I have to state that it looks like Sonic is ready to punch anything that jumps out of a wall at him in Vincent's.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think you should adjust the eye. I honestly think that the twirling sprite was just one that Sega forgot to update to Sonic 2 style back in development. The eyes aren't widened and there is no shine on Sonic's head.

5. I always thought the hand would look more like one of the following (ignore the scale - although making the hand much smaller might screw up the perspective - and lack of shading, I'm talking mostly about the shapes):
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In any case, something has to be done about that hand. It's looking terribly distorted the way it is. The angle of the wrist doesn't match the angle of the hand at all. the head is perfect, IMO.

EDIT: ImageShack is acting weird. There are 4 images in this post: the original sprite and 3 hand suggestions. If you see less than 4 images, it's just ImageShack acting funny. Maybe refreshing the page will help.

6. Your first image looks the best.

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

*WIP Animation Test*

P.s. Thanks for suggestions buddies. ;)

8. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=317135:date=Jun 8 2009, 07:18 PM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Jun 8 2009, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317135">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG] [​IMG]

*WIP Animation Test*

P.s. Thanks for suggestions buddies. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Loving it.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    <!--quoteo(post=317135:date=Jun 9 2009, 01:18 AM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Jun 9 2009, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=317135">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG] [​IMG]

*WIP Animation Test*

P.s. Thanks for suggestions buddies. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's looking a lot better. Now all we need is a hang glider and we can also get a HD version of the 8 bit sonic 2 game (I wish LOL.)

10. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    To me, the right hand in the sprite definitely looks like a clenched fist. However, I prefer the mock up's and Vincents WIP of the hand open.

Though, the right hand in Vincent's WIP seems to replicate the finger positioning of the left hand the closest, so far.

11. The new hand is great, Vincent! Nice work.

12. I like the hand, although it seems like it's a little too high compared to the other one. Also, his left ear looks a little too dark to me. It almost disappears on the dull grey-gold of the rusted copper skin.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That looks awesome, even if he has one spine less than normal. I wouldn't try adding a new one, but then again I wouldn't have added the fourth in any sprites.

The new hand looks great, even if the original did look more like a closed fist. I'd lower it a bit, though.

14. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    That left ear looks a little wild in the animation. Its like doing a 180 horizontal flip.

15. zemulii

zemulii

<!--quoteo(post=318946:date=Jun 13 2009, 08:15 PM:name=MaximusDM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximusDM @ Jun 13 2009, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=318946">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That left ear looks a little wild in the animation. Its like doing a 180 horizontal flip.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I agree. I think a few of the other parts could be abit more subtle also. I think this is a case where the original shouldn't be followed too closely as it's clearly limited by pixel size.

16. DragonsTrap

DragonsTrap

AP:100 DP:55 CP:56 Member
    I agree with some earlier posts about the left ear looking a bit too dark and perhaps moving a little too much between frames. One other comment is that maybe it would look more like the original sprite if the left arm were pulled back so that the cuff of Sonic's glove is hidden behind his head; it seems to clash with his eye a bit (or maybe I've just been looking at it for too long).

I have one related question (which I could not find an answer to by quickly searching).
    Will Sonic 2 HD be restricted to the same number of animation frames as Genesis Sonic 2?
    I.e. since there are only 2 in-flight animation frames in the original, will the Sonic 2 HD verion of in-flight Sonic be limited to 2 frames also? While I understand and agree that the game intends to be a remake and should still have the same "feel" as Sonic 2, I think maybe some extra frames could help. I personally didn't like the look of Street Fighter 2 HD Remix due to the lack of animation frames, which (for me) made the game look too much like some flash animation.

17. Until the game is completed to the level of the original Sonic 2, yes.

18. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    I don't think the original sprite has a closed fist. I think the fingers are coming directly towards us so we see no sense of depth.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way, there's something that bothers me a little about Sonic's neck. Shouldn't it be nonexistant, as if there were just two spheres, forming his head and belly?

20. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Another one for ya! ;)