don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    <!--quoteo(post=288686:date=Mar 11 2009, 09:44 AM:name=DDRKhat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DDRKhat @ Mar 11 2009, 09:44 AM) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Left ear is too high up and too long. Right ear is too high (you cannot see the innards in the sprite)
    Tails' shoes should be similar to that of Sonic's (Only without the buckle perhaps?)
    It looks like Tails himself is leaning slightly forwards.
    Something seems odd about the 3 hairs from his forehead, when placed against the sprite yours seem completely out of place.
    He still seems a bit too wide.
    His palette seems too bright.
    the "flick" of fur on the left side of his face goes downstairs in the sprite, opposed to upwards in your rendering.
    His "socks" seem to be raising too high.
    You see too much of his left (our right) glove.
    His eyes are too "sparkley"[/quote]

I fully agree with all of them above.

[​IMG]

Also, the more I see that original canlined sprite, the more I've come to realise that Tails doesn't seem to have much emotion in his face because of his blank expression; although I think I've got a much better explanation for it...

By the look on his face and the flick of 'hair'/fur - contrary to the rendered artwork that was made of him - I can really imagine him being (as has has *always* been portrayed) like one of these shy kids that wants to be in the shadow of of his hero. Not because he is scared or worried exactly, but I suppose more in the sense of nervousness - perhaps a nervous excitement to him when he's around Sonic, which would explain why he wants to follow Sonic's movements, like a trainee following his instructor.

I think the reason for his blank expression is because he's busy concentrating on what he's doing, listening out for anything and everything - obviously which is what foxes do. Tails has no time to be 'cool' - that is what Sonic is there for; he's only being a good little side-kick.

So I think *that's* how Tails should be portrayed.

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    OLD[​IMG]NEW[​IMG]
    I've tried to include all of the fixes, plus a restudy from the original frame AND the artwork one.

Need to polish it abit, but that's it.

*And a big thanks to Growler for the details, and especially the mouth idea. (being worked on)

3. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Right hear still too visible, the three hairs protruding from his forehead should be covering it more.
    Stomach fur still seems too wide, like someones stretched him apart.
    Shoes still seem too long?
    Left glove (Our right) still too visible, it's too far forwards.
    Still seems a bit too "shiney" try a slightly darker palette.
    Eyes are still a bit too sparkly, maybe try making them more like Sonic's ?
    Face seems weird still, try taking another long hard look at the Title Screen tails?

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    We're getting fairly close to the final iteration of Tails now. The piece has gone from a being closely aligned with the artwork, to being revised based on eyeballing it, and now back to the in-game sprite itself. We need to have a concensus from you guys on the style most fitting for it, as Vincent can't keep revising it every time one person decides it doesn't fit their personal preference.

5. I'm loving that tails sprite.
    I layered it over the original (And vice versa) in GIMP, and noticed this:
    - Tails' head is still a little bit too wide (Past his eye).
    - Has left hand is too visible (As stated)

About what DDRKhat said about his stomach fur - the tufts of fur on tails' left are about the same size as the tufts on his right. It makes it look like his body is facing us.

That's all I can really offer in ideas atm, other than that it's perfect :D

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Tail's ear in that sprite is VERY ugly I must say xD (I can say because I drew it xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD)

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Well the way I see how Tails' ear looks, is the top of the ear looks more like a 'fold' to me.

*edit*
    actually, disregard that, as the pixellated version of him shows his ear much more clearer.

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    As much work has been done to improve on Tails, and as much as I liked VJ's original work, I think there is still problems with the sprite on many levels, including posture.

If I wanted to expend the effort, I'd personally try my hand at doing Tails from scratch, preferably using this as a base:

[​IMG]

(I printed the TV-blurred Tails sprite out, traced over it with pencil since that is much easier and faster for me, and then re-scanned it back in)

Edit: Wow, that sounded kind of unintentionally arrogant of me. It's just, you know, I'm lazy. Too lazy to download the proper tools to do it the right way.

9. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I'll make a couple of fixes now, then it will be considered "final" :)
    The fact that S2HD is an open-community project, does not mean I will trash anyone's genuine efforts on doing either a better Tails or Knuckles!

But of course I need you to actually do Vector work, as rasters are unusable for building HD animations.

I'll plan to start actual Tails's frames once Sonic's frames are complete OR anyone here wants to start remastering the fox, with motivation and determination.
    In case some of you is willing to proceed, let me know! (I'll help you out, especially with Illustrator) ^^

10. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Fox? Fox!? :(

It's a kitsune!

:argh:

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Well, I don't have Illustrator. Do I have to use it? I have Paintshop Pro 7, which can do vector art, though it can't save in Illustrator's format. Assuming the sprites on this page are in full resolution, I guess I could at least do Tails' standing pose as a transparent PNG and people can use that to go ahead with walking and such, right?

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    As said earlier if someone wants to actually help S2HD's Tails Dev, ideally remastering ALL the frames (for Art Style coherency) or partially working on it, we need a widely compatible format used (.PSP is Paint Shop Pro 7 exlusive) or it would make it impossible for our artists to cooperate or revise it, as much of us draw with Illustrator for tons of practical reasons.

If you want to create a mockup, then you're welcome but it' won't be much helpful to actual Character dev.

Oh, and BTW I'll provide Tails Standing .AI Source pretty soon! :(

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

k, I'll just do a mock up, then, I guess. :(

14. download and install inkscape. It's free.

15. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    And GIMP can deal with Paint Shop Pro's native format. And isn't Paint Shop Pro a RASTER graphics editor, not a vector one?

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Let's not get confused! :(

If you want to test your skills to be "Officially" included on S2HD, you've got to use one of the following Vector programs:

-Adobe Illustrator
    -Inkscape
    -Flash
    -Photoshop

For characters just go for Illustrator (preferred) or Inkscape.

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Actually, I'm liking the shape of yours much better than the current one. It's a bit rough, but at least it actually looks like the sprite.

19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    UBER [​IMG] TD[​IMG]

WIP

Oh and Here is Tails .AI source! ^^

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I think the current Tails would be fine if:

- His Body was rounder
    - His head was moved to the left just a touch
    - His shoes were made to be thinner
    - The belts on his gloves and socks weren't so pronounced (particularly his socks).