don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It's already decent enough. If you keep picking at the very small details until everyone's happy, then you're never going to get past two walk frames.

It has taken you 43 days and 18 pages just to get to where you are now.

If you guys want this to seriously happen, then you have to set some standards that everyone can agree with.

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

Many things retouched up.

4 frames in more than one month is not bad at all, considering it's been all main frames which defines how a certain character will look.
    Next frames based on Sonic will be much faster thanks to vector art, and I want to say that I never had a chance to draw Sonic in HD, so if no one helped me to improve the character's design, frames would be something I would be not fully satisfied with.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay guys, I think we can move past the first frame now. =P

4. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    NO WE CAN'T, HIS SPINE IS 2 DEGREES OFF AND HIS SHINE NEEDS TO BE LESS WHITE (CHANGE IT TO RGB 254,254,254 NOT 255,255,255)

also on a more serious note, the shine on his shoes wasn't there in the original sprite.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes, but on most artwork the shine is present. Plus a shine on the S2 sprites would just not look right (Not enough room).

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Comparing original sprite with downsized version of Vincent/ICEKnights HD version (because I was bored):

[​IMG]

Not bad. =P

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=188283:date=Apr 14 2008, 10:47 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Apr 14 2008, 10:47 PM) [​IMG]

8. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    I'd say that's a pretty good likeness - hand and nose locations are slightly off, but it makes Sonic look a lot less robotic which is a plus.
    Good job, it's better than anything I could ever accomplish...

Here's a comparison...
    Flash Comparison

9. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Last updated Standing Frame

[​IMG]

Last updated Running Frame (at different speeds thanks Chimpo for the gif!)

[​IMG]

Planned Schedule:

-Standing 100%
    -Running 100%

-Jumping
    -Running max speed
    -Braking
    -Being hit
    -Die
    -All the rest

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

Blue, I made another edit to show you about shades and coloring I'll do.
    All the work I do is obviously in vector art, except from the edits which are raster.

About CG I really believe its too "cold"to be perfectly included.
    We could also try some combinations with vector art AND photoshop filters, which was also used to make the first SONIC 2 HD mockup.

P.s. guys is really there nothing to change into Sonic's second frame?!
    If so I'll move onto the third one.

11. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Excellent work on the second frame Vincent!

Also, thanks for your contributions Blue Streak (I wouldn't worry about colour limitations for now).

And I also wanted to say that I agree with IceKnight that CG rings would probably be for the best, but by all means continue to produce the 2d versions. If we get a CG ring animation we'll have something to compare it to.

12. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Sonic's close foot is a little more raised than in the original sprite (where he seems to have his toes flat on the ground). It doesn't look "wrong" though. It's a really good new sprite.
    The vector ring looks great too. I'm not fond of the idea of CG backgrounds in something that is essentially supposed to celebrate the classic Sonic artwork.

13. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

14. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    We really shouldn't bitch for every single bit that is (or seems to some people) wrong. Otherwise, the artists would never ever finish the sprites. Vincent, it looks perfectly fine and right.

15. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    The fact that we have finished sprites kind of disproves this. We're looking for very high-quality art in this, so people shouldn't expect development to be quick. The way things have been going so far has worked, and Vincent appreciates the critiques (I think the majority of those who have been editing art do, too), so why complain about it?

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm 60% of third frame by now, it's looking great.

About the differences on the second frame, I took the liberty to change nose, toe and legs to look more "dynamic".
    Hope you also like it!

(If you think it could be better in a different shape, please go in details like usual)

17. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    A slightly lowered head would make him look more serious and aggressive, but I think what's been done works just as well without changing too much

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thing is, nobody has even bothered trying yet, so we can't compare and make sure... =\

There's a few things I'd change, regarding the leg (it looks a bit "realistic", with its knee less round than it should) and about the right hand's perspective... But I'd wait changing stuff until all of these frames are started, because some changes would affect the flow of the animation.

19. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Agreed.

20. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Exactly.
    I think that picking at every single tiny detail is a waste of time. The majority of frames aren't on screen long enough to notice the tiny aspects anyway =P

Edit: Damn you Hitaxas =P