don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    UBER [​IMG] TD[​IMG]

Thanks Tora, even if old and full of fixes to do, I'm pretty affectionate to this avatar! (it was my very first work) ^^

EDIT: Forgot to post this one currently WIP

UBER [​IMG] TD[​IMG]

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Beautiful job as always, Vincent!

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks! ^^

Almost forgot to post the latest frame(s):

UBER [​IMG] TD [​IMG]

UBER [​IMG]TD[​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, shouldn't the bottom-left part in the "sphere" graphic look darker than the rest of it? It almost looks like it has a clear outline, for some reason.

How strange, might be my monitor's fault..

5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    No problems on your monitor ICE!

It's always been there for animation flow purposes, that particular missing outline gave me a lot of problems on TD release.
    That's why it has never been touched again. :)

6. Sciz

Sciz

It's an exaggerated representation of the refraction of light around a sphere. Also, it's present in the original sprite.

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    The shading on the previous ones were still incomplete, now all the set is almost done.

[​IMG][​IMG]

*New*

UBER [​IMG]TD [​IMG]

UBER [​IMG]TD [​IMG]

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Don't the original sprites show his right hand going over his body to tuck in to his left arm, instead of the other way around?

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's what I thought at first, but I changed my mind after taking a closer look at the original sprite.

Sonic 3 is a different story, though.

10. dartmonkey

dartmonkey

Hi guys,

Apologies if it's way too late to offer a suggestion on this, but I thought it was worth posting.

I'm not entirely sold on the smile you've given Sonic. I've always seen a look of determination and concentration in his sprite, mainly conveyed by the line of his brow. Robotnik's up to naughties again, there's a bitch of a task ahead, but he seems resolved, thoughtful and perhaps a tad pissed off. Maybe he's less than happy about Tails tagging along – he's got enough to worry about.

Here's a quick alteration to show what I mean (very rough, only meant as a guide).
    [​IMG]
    That's the sort of mouth I see inferred in the sprite, through his furrowed brow and eyes.

I know it seems a tad ridiculous to start bringing up his motivation, etc, but from the evidence in the rest of the thread, you all want to really nail it. Does anyone see where I'm coming from?

Obviously with the ambiguous nature of the sprites you see what you want to see to a certain extent. But I've never once looked at him and seen a grin or smirk or even a slight smile. It makes him look a bit cocky.

Again, sorry for nitpicking such a small detail. I think it's generally a mistake to get bogged down with tiny variances on badniks and buckles, but I reckon the main character's face is worth the nitpick.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic's been shown grinning in almost the entirety of the "classic" Japanese artwork, while keeping those same eyes.

At least when standing and posing.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    How about we use both? Make him stop smiling if he gets hit, and make him smile while he has a power-up active or 50+ rings in his possession. It'd be that little detail where people play for about 15 minutes and then they suddenly notice that his expression keeps changing at which point they'd have a "Holy shit, that's so awesome how they did that" moment.

13. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
  14. Sciz

Sciz

Well, yeah. Sonic is almost invariably portrayed as being as self-assured and cocky as he is fast. It isn't a trivial thing by any means, but we've talked about this and tried a few different styles in the past before settling on the current one.

We're sort of doing this, IIRC. Vincent is really the one to ask, but last I recall the plan was to use different expressions on different animation cycles. Not quite as elaborate as what you're suggesting, but he isn't grinning quite all of the time, a problem which someone pointed out a while back. Interesting idea though.

15. dartmonkey

dartmonkey

Agreed, but in-game I'm not sure it suits. Look at, say, the Sonic CD intro movie. Perhaps that could be good reference.

That's a great idea. A wry smile for a few seconds after collecting a power-up or boshing a badnik would be perfect, but I think the perpetual smirk makes him look a little vacant. Which would be a shame after all the painstaking work that's gone into recreating his character in HD.

Again, apologies for dragging up what I'm sure has been discussed before. I did hunt for past discussions, but unsuccessfully.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Hi dartmonkey,

ICEKnight has resumed dozen of pages on the choice of the self-assured attitude Sonic is always portrayed on.
    That however does not mean he will keep the smile on the resting ones, as of now I'm currently testing this:

Stand: Smile
    Walking: lighter smile
    Run: Serious attitude

Depending on how it turns out I may actually invert the Run with Standing, but I still need to Uberize the Run Animation before. (which I'll work on after completing the signpost.)

On the variable-emotions it would need too much hassle to program or draw (An overlay mouth programmed to work with or triple frames).
    (but it's interesting, we'll keep this in mind on extra additions :psyduck:)

P.s. I'll do another update on past experiments with a long-discussed (yet not finalized) Character, on the later evening. ^^

EDIT: Here we go.

OLD[​IMG] NEW TEST [​IMG]

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I honestly can't decide. They're both simply great! The first one is very similar to what they showed in-game, but the second one is sheer concept art greatness. Mmmh... If I HAD to make a choice, I'd take the old one. Mainly because of the slightly more correct head-body proportion. But it's close! Very. close.

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Second is the best for me - the face is much more faithful to how Tails looks in the Sonic 2 title screen. A comparison of both with the original sprite would be nice, though. = )

19. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I'm also partial to Tails No. 2.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    with a tiny bit of tweaking, 2