don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Nicely done, I see that this project is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see/play the finished product.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=190562:date=Apr 25 2008, 12:27 PM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Apr 25 2008, 12:27 PM) [​IMG]

3. Hyperknux

Hyperknux

South England, UK
    SRB2: Chaos Twilight, Sonic 2 & The Legend of Hyper Sonic.
  4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who missed Tails frame.

I did two versions:

The first is "artwork" based ver

The second is "sprite" based ver

The character is open for any actual drawing, please feel free to use it as base.

5. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    Other than the aforementioned lighting on the head, the animation is looking really good. Though, his back ear looks a little strange when he turns his head to the side. I think it's because of how it tilts back.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Other things I've noticed:

-Sonic's tail is too curly.
    -The buckle disappears in the last frames.
    -The right ear looks different (better?) in the last frames.
    -The left ear seems to be facing backwards in the last frames.
    -The right foot seems to bend at a wierd place... but then, so did the original.
    -There's something with the right hand not flowing with the animation when it's facing the camera.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I would be willing to do this but I don't have any real vector art program. Can anyone recommend me anything?

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm having problems in finding a gif editor that outputs transparent gifs without garbled outlines.

Anyone could help me out?

-Sorry there is one error in Chimpo's different speeds animation, near the end it misses one frame.
    I'll fix it asap.

9. Vincent, it seems that you can sort of due what you want here using Photoshop. However, you have to sacrifice any anti-aliasing it seems to make it completely general. Remember though, we're not programming GIFs into the game, but the individual frames for the graphics engine itself to arrange and animate.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I've been doing gifs with photoshop actually, but it's a long process as it misses a dedicated frameset working area I've always been using with Animation Shop.
    (I need to export from illustrator --> photoshop-->animation Shop.. That's too long!)

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Adobe illustrator is your friend. ;)

12. Funroll Loops

Funroll Loops

USA
    Could you put all the frames on a single 24-bit png file with alpha-transparency? I'm working on some code for a demonstration and would like to have the pretty new sprites.

13. theSTHguy

theSTHguy

Fear the wrath of my ∫! Ha ha ha! Member
    London, England, UK
    The Shadow Odyssey (TSO)
    Paint Shop Pro is my friend ;)

Personally I prefer 10, but 12 is decent.

Also,
    Second that notion!

14. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    <plug>Firefox 3 supports animated PNGs (APNG). Try searching for "APNG Editor" on Mozilla Addons.</plug> The only problem with APNGs is that Firefox 3 is still in beta, and it is the only browser that can handle them.

15. Phazon

Phazon

Wait...tails looks bigger than sonic?

[​IMG]

16. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Can't you output layers in Illustrator to Flash or something like that?

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That...really wasn't the point. I'm not trying to get perfection here, just show how the animation would look acceleration wise.

And there's no such thing. You're either going to have to get rid of the anti-aliased lines, or have a background. The only other option is to make a .swf file.

Wait...what?

You guys seriously aren't telling me that you're redrawing all of these at a higher resolution just so you can shrink them down to the genesis standard are you?

What the hell guys. I thought this was Sonic HD, not Sonic SD.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    (Was that sarcasm or can we not actually scale down Tails, despite the fact that he should have been made in vector art as well?)

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The character size has nothing to do with whether it's HD or not, it's all about resolution. The sprites will look the same size as the genesis sprites when it's all said and done, but they'll have four times the resolution.

which is the aim of the project - plain old vanilla sonic 2 (with the option to play as Knuckles I guess) only in HD.