don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    what

It's just always how it's appeared to me. A sarcastic smirk, if you will; it adds to his overall attitude quite a bit, in my opinion.

2. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
  3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    WTF, that's three people on this board now all with sleeping problems...

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ok people, I want to confess I've always been working on low res drawing and frame animations.

I for that never touched Illustrator, neither flash.
    However, due to a full immersion thanks to the passion to see "Sonic" once again since '90, here he is.

Welcome back Sonic! :(

[​IMG]

It's in HEAVY WIP due to difficulties in letting all details and heights flowing, but I wanted to share it.

5. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I always saw it as a smirk too rather than simply a one pixel :O expression. I definitely agree with Tweaker that it would compliment his attitude, as Knuckles was portrayed as the villian. It's not simply that black pixel that determines his expression, if you look at it from a distance I think you can clearly see a smirk due to the shading underneath. Additionally if a scowl were to suddenly change into the following expression and then back into a scowl again, I think that it would truly look odd.

[​IMG]

The Knuckles is coming along very well indeed though, fantastic work Blaze.

Vincent, that's looking awesome so far :(

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Not too bad! But yeah, as you said, the lighting is very inconsistent on the head. In addition, it might also be better to consider some in-between frames, since the animation is quite jerky considering the size of of the art.

Still, this is pretty cool. I suggest working on rolling next so a basic player could be implemented in some sort of test engine build without appearing as an invisible and/or garbled mess. :P

7. Damn Tweaker, do you even go to school? You always on the internet...

Vincent, that animation is awesome as hell though. I wish I had a better eye for detail though, as I don't see anything wrong with it.

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  9. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Yeah, the lighting makes Sonic look odd.

10. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    D-:

11. Vincent, very cool on the slow-run animation.

Things I see:
    - The lighting on the head does need a bit of adjusting, meaning it needs to be more consistent between frames.
    - The stomach looks like it changes color too much.
    - The legs and shoes look pretty good.
    - There is a somewhat obvious jerkiness to it. I think this is because the head looks like it's switching between just the two positions and I know you used the same head position for several frames because the tiles are repeated. However, we may want to alter the position of the head in a few of those to make it smoother. This of course adds more tiles, but I don't see why that should be a problem from the programming side of things.

Great work all around!

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Actually, you'll notice in the original that the lighting is rather strange too; When turning away from the camera it appears that the light source has just shifted behind sonic, then goes back towards the top-right when he turns back towards the camera.

Also, his second "spike-wad"'s lighting in some of the frames looks a bit odd; I'm not quite sure how to explain this one though.

Tweaker, a build could be made of upscaled sprites, then the sprites would be gradually replaced with the new ones.

That said, I know we're not going to concentrate on things like this until the game is mostly done, but it would be a good idea for the future if the game could have replacable graphics; that is to say, if someone made tiles for it, they could use upscaled original pixelgraphics to get essentially a vanilla sonic 2 PC port. 

13. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    About knuckles' smile, if some people prefer it being like this:
    [​IMG]

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I could make a joke.

I just wish I could see the animation with a less choppy frame rate. That said, it does look like the original to me, right down to the odd lighting.

17. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
  18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    For the lighting on it, I would suggest maybe blending the colours of the highlights a bit more - as it does look a little odd seeing the colour go from a blue to light purple very quickly.

19. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I still prefer scowling Knuckles. Considering what Knuckles was in the Genesis games (villain-become-friend), I think it fits to have him frown a bit.