don't click here

Geek Critique: Sonic Adventure

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Josh, Dec 2, 2015.

1. MartiusR

MartiusR

Congratulations Josh for another interesting publication on your channel! (Although I have to admit, I didn't watched all your videos, but only because of my allergy on Nintendo :P)

It's good to have another YT publisher who is far away from vulgarity, forced jokes and repeating general opinions. And has a good and nice for ear voice, of course!

I've got to admit, that I'm not 100% "sharing" this nostalgia thing in case of Sonic games. I've started to play in them relatively late, when Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast were quite distant past. My childhood was connected only with PC gaming (and partially with polish famiclone, Pegasus). Not to mention that I've played in almost all Sonic games for the first time on PC (a bit later I've started to play in titles not published on PC - mostly on PS2 and yeah, games for GBA and DS Lite (even my hatred for Nintendo didn't prevent me ;)/>).

But on the other hand - it's valuable to hear opinion of someone who actually was playing in these Sonic games when he was an infant and played in them when they were initially released. I'm probably losing a lot without this experience of playing in SA back in 1999 on Dreamcast*, when it was "hot thing", widely advertised etc. I can't t feel the climax of these days :colbert:/> So it was even more valuable for me to watch this video. Personally, I've played in SA for the first time on PC at the end of 2014, or at the beginning of this year. So that's completely different experience. Although not bad, I've got to admit. I was surprised that this game so... easy. Comparing to SA 2 or Sonic Heroes, it was piece of cake. But I've got to admit, that gameplay of Sonic and Tails is a pure pleasure (not counting these parts in "adventure mode" though :P). It's simple, fast and easy to control. The last thing is quite important for me, I've played in a lot of 3D games with messed control. Aaaand it's probably one of the Sonic games where I felt the most uneasiness during watching cut-scenes and looking for the plot. I wish that Sega would never decide to put Sonic in "human world" (even with unexplained origin of Dr Robotnik in world of anthropomorphic animals). And these dialogue lines of Tikal are embarrassing. Very embarrasing.

*Although I've got to admit, that I'm not entirely understand excitement with technical capabilities of Dreamcast back in 1998/1999. Looking on possibilites of PC with Pentium 200 MMX and Voodoo (both were available earlier than Dreamcast, as far as I remember), it's nothing new or revolutionary. Well, on the other hand - maybe it's because whole West is using logic "video games = console games", I don't know.

2. winterhell

winterhell

The consoles in the past, lets say up to GameCube included, were made with the sole purpose of playing games. There were generally no parts that are not used during most games. They trimmed the 'fat' that is present in PCs. Do we need 300W PSU for the 20W machine? 10 expansion slots on the motherboard and I/O plugs?
    On the PC at that time the resident software : OS and drivers would take up big percentage of the resources, ram and cpu speed.
    The components would also be in a delicate price/performance balance. You don't want to put 1GB RAM on a 200MHz CPU when you know with 64MB you'll get 95% of the quality.
    And the developers made every megabyte count.
    Yes you could buy in '97 a Pentium ][ 300MHz, but that CPU alone would have costed you more than all your consoles combined. $1981 before inflation. I would say the Dreamcast was a bargain for its price.

Nowadays, Xbox 360 is dedicating more RAM and CPU speed to OS and non-game related operations during actual gameplay than the whole available resources of the first Xbox!
    And the current generation is dedicating 2-3 GB RAM for the OS, like wtf. Even Skype uses 'only' 100MB, where does the rest go?