don't click here

Gamasutra's interview with Drossin

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sik, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Interview: Game Musician Drossin, From Sonic To Afro Samurai

I'd go more into details about this but I think that this part is the most interesting of all for us:
    :v:

EDIT: screw it, this happens to me for not reading it all.
    Either way, I assume this is better than just speculation, right?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, so basically he was told he would be working with MJ, then told he wasn't after all, but he didn't know what MJ was gonna work on? I'd say that this matches up perfectly well to the MJ-starting-on-S3-then-being-removed theory.

3. Sorry there are way too many coincidences to dismiss - don't care what anybody say. It's not just simple chords either-= look at the complex brass filler in CN Zone.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    What convinces me more than anything else are the sampled portions of Michael Jackson music. If nothing else, those are too uncanny to simply dismiss as coincidental.

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
  6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Added to the wiki: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Howard Drossin interview by Gamasutra (September 22, 2009)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Howard Drossin interview by Gamasutra (September 22, 2009)</a>

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Too many proven coincidences, I refuse to believe MJ didn't have any involvement with the music.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This just in! Carnival Night's music was secretly composed by Julius Fu?ík and all modern Sonic music was secretly done by "G.C." Coleman.

I'm of the opinion that they didn't completely scrap his music, but they modified it fairly heavily. However, Jackson being uncredited isn't a ridiculous theory, it's just that that's a bad reason to support it.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I said sampled portions, not borrowed melodies. There is a sample in Carnival Night's music—namely one of the samples that sounds like an orchestral hit—that is directly sampled from Jam. You can even hear the vocalist say "Jam" in the sample! There was a huge topic on this very discovery a couple of years back.

Aside from that similarity, Shade and Qjimbo found several other DAC samples that were ripped from various MJ tunes. There was a website dedicated to showcasing this, but I'm not quite sure if it still exists. It'd be a good idea if it were rehosted and publicized in some form.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I countered with the amen break. It's a sample. :P

11. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    You mean this one, Sonic Basement.Net right?

Anyways, I think this dude is only just covering his own skin cause he probably thinks MJ's companies or Sega is gonna come after him. I absolutely refuse to debunk Michael Jackson's presence in the creation of the soundtrack after mixing and hearing this myself.

12. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    To all those saying that Drossin is trying to cover up MJ, remember what Overlord said earlier in this thread:
    If I recall correctly once Drossin said that he entered Sonic 3's development pretty late, so it's possible that there are songs made by MJ in Sonic 3 from before Drossin joined.

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I forget the name of the song (I was suppsed and didn't add it to any of my youtube playlitsts) but there was another sample not included on the sonicbasement.net page. It was a drum sample from the Knuckles Theme/Sonic 3 Mini Boss that was identical, although it lasts a whole 2 seconds in thsi song (which came out years after Sonic 3). I'll try to look for it once I'm home.

Drossin entered late so I think know the MJ shit hit the fan before he began working.

"JAM!" is the only conclusive evidence we have...but really, isn't that all we need as proof of MJ's involvement? No matter if A-song sounds similar to B-song and whether we agree of disagree, this little sample of an ear drum pleaser ends all speculation. YES MJ had involvement.....but the only questions we should be asking now is WHAT he had direct involvement with. Carnival Night Zone is 100%.....everything else are maybes because of similar chords/etc.

14. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Absolutely, that one little smash in Carnival Night pretty much sums it up for me.
    Even before ever reading about any MJ involvement, or anything, the first time I heard that in-game, I knew exactly where it was from.

It's possible that MJ worked on some stuff before Drossin got there.
    It's also possible that MJ wrote new stuff for the Moonwalker game, but they never used it, asked for permission, and reused it here.
    It's even more plausible that one of his musician/production members happened to be working on Sonic 3.
    Aw, heck, it's all a big mess.
    We'll probably never get the answer to this one.

But, they DID change it in S3K, didn't they..
    Go Conspiracies!!!!

15. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I believe you're referring to Sonic 3 & Knuckles Collection for PC, not S3K.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks like some people forgot that the ending to Sonic 3 is Stranger in Moscow.

Any other evidence just adds to this.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yes. If you only count the chord progression in that song's verse.

But then again, so is Coral Cave (Rush Adventure), really, by that standard.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Something just hit me and I can't believe I never realized it before.

Do you guys think the songs that were changed in Sonic & Knuckles collection were ones that directly sampled MJ's music? Because I just thought about it and that makes perfect sense—the Sonic 3 credits sample a portion of his voice, Carnival Night samples a portion of Jam, Ice Cap has one his samples as well if I recall, Knuckles' theme has a correlation... the list goes on!

Granted, this doesn't explain instances like the competition music, and maybe this is just a secondary correlation... but that is definitely food for thought that I'd never actually considered before.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    As far as I know, people noticed that before. And yes, that's a possible explanation. There's MJ also in Launch Base.

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Certainly the ones changed for the collection were unique in that every other track used that same kick and snare combo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.