don't click here

Fusion 3.63x Linux on Kubuntu 12.04 32-bit: black window

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andlabs, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    So I'm trying to run some 32X ROMs that don't work with Gens/GS, and Kega Fusion 3.63x (the latest Linux build) on my Kubuntu 12.04 setup (and my previous Ubuntu 11.04 setup) both hang with a black window with no title or menu bar. I tried fiddling with the INI file's audio and Linux-specific settings, but to no avail. Googling either gave me people who had their problem fixed by upgrade to 3.63x, fixes for other distributions (such as a Gentoo emerge), fixes for other CPU architectures, or irrelevant stuff. ldd on the de-UPX-ed binary shows me I have every needed package installed. What's going on? Thanks..

2. gold lightning

gold lightning

Iirc the linux version of Fusion has practically little to no gui. I don't think the application is actually hanging. You have to use keyboard shortcuts to operate the emulator. At least this is what happened in my experience. Iirc they are pretty much the same as the optional keyboard shortcuts in the Windows version.
    Here are a few of those shortcuts:
    Load MD/Genesis/32x: CTRL+G
    Load MS: CTRL+M
    Load GG: CTRL+A
    Load Sega CD image: CTRL+C
    Boot CD: CTRL+B
    Hard Reset: tab
    Soft Reset: CTRL + tab

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Thanks. That's stupid :|

...but wait, I do remember having a GUI in the past... hm...

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Just out of interest, what 32X games are you having trouble with? I run Fusion 3.63x and Gens/GS with the DMA PWM mod under Xubuntu.

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    This time I was trying to run After Burner Complete but it doesn't matter; just running Fusion itself or with other ROMs on the command line load up the blank GUI. GerbilSoft said something about turning off compositing; I'll try that tomorrow.

6. null1024

null1024

Fusion under Linux does have a GUI, if it's not showing, it's probably hung.
    When it starts up, it should show a normal window with a menu bar with TV static.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Yeah, it does that for me, too. If you don't get the gui, you may be missing a dependancy.