don't click here

Funny mess-up

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Vangar, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Vangar

Vangar

I've spent a little free time building an EHZ level, just for fun. Somehow, I've got these crazy spikes that seem to move depending on where sonic is, they are out of control and you can ride / get hit by them.

I dunno how I did or or how to make it stop.

The first part of the level with the crazy spikes is here, maybe someone knows wtf happened?

Crazy spike attack?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Probably an invalid subtype? It's kind of hard to tell without being able to see the object placement data.

3. ancara

ancara

Actually, while you see it as a bug or error, I actually see it as a neat thing that could be expanded upon. Think about it: Have an enemy covered in spikes (or heck, an edit'd Sonic 3 spike guy with both bouncy and regular spike modes) that chases Sonic through the levels, and you take damage if you end up touching the spikes.

Put in multiple ones of it for needed areas, perhaps expand the idea a bit and even give it a neat little look, and methinks you have the basis of a neat hack to do.

......but that's just me thinking aloud, perhaps. :v:

4. Vangar

Vangar

To be honest I was just going to spend some time changing the level layouts, nothing fancy, just make S2 levels perform more maze-like, like S1 levels. I'll have to find out the sub-type on those spikes, thanks!

5. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    What if, you had a point in the game, where there are a ton of spikes strewn about... NOT anything difficult to navigate or anything... but just enough to make you raise an eyebrow... you reach Robotnik somewhere... and he hits a switch, and it makes the spikes go nuts like this?

If you are making zones more mazelike, perhaps set up a dead end or two in a Metropolis Zone, or something... where something like this happens. I'd LOVE this... that is until it happened to me... (but of course, you'd be a pal and hand us those zone maps, yea? ;))

6. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    It seems to act like one of the swimming or flying badniks, possibly from ARZ.

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    That didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it.

That said, I'm gonna go with the flying one over the swimming one, due to it seemingly following your location for some time, and then flying off, only to be seen again if you return to the location again. The swimming one simply goes back and forth slowly and then swims at you when you are close.

8. Retroman

Retroman

Video please.

9. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Here is a short capture: