don't click here

Forums rearranged

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    The growing list of pinned topics in E&RE prompted the need to hold all handy/useful/"guide-like" topics in one place. Which is why the E&RE -- Archive forum was created.

I've rearranged the archive forums so that they're now much more visible and accessible. Hopefully this will change the bad impression that an archived topic is a buried dead topic.

It should be more convenient for everyone this way... if not, we can always change back to the way before.

2. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    The new arrangement makes me rather... uncomfortable for some reason, but it's probably just because I'm not used to it. Oh well.

3. Simon

Simon

Oldbie
    Yeah this configuration isn't very common... but we'll see.

4. Kampfer

Kampfer

It's not bad. It makes archiving info more out in the open. I like it.

5. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    For a second I thought it was a bug in my IE, I was going to take a screeny and put it into Suggestions and Complaints. I think it's a good idea though.

6. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    In my opinion,is more organized.Is normal that at the first it looks strange,but with the time we'll see that is better.As Simon said,it makes the archives topics more visible.

7. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    At first I didn't like it, but I'm starting to get used to it.

8. Bleeding Cut

Bleeding Cut

Dr. Knuckles Member
    Yeah. It is easier to find stuff. I thought my eyes were tricking me, because the first thing that came to mind was, "Wtf?!" =D

I just need to get used to the ordering of the forums.

9. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    This definitely looks a lot more professional Simon.

That's what I thought too, until I saw this topic.

10. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    It's not exactly a bad arrangement, it's just that the archived topics get in the way of the other forums, which are more active. I think this would work better if the archive forums got their own section, but that's just my opinion.

11. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I like this new arrangement. It fits, IMO.

12. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Now that I've been using it for a while, it's really a nice layout. It works quite well.

13. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah I think that would be clearer aswell. Another possibility is to use a different colour emerald for the archive forums. Other than that I think it's a good move, the messageboard holds a lot of valueble info that should be looked after :)

14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    That is impossible with Invision

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Ah my good friend, nothing is impossible :)
    Although I expect it's impossible with the default IPB, I can't imagine that it would be too hard to modify, there may even be a mod already out there. PHP is easy as hell to pick up anyway.

EDIT: http://www.invisionskins.com/?p=skinguide&...=uniqueforumimg
    Doesn't look impossible to me....

16. Ice God

Ice God

Earthbound Fanboy Banned
    Quite an interesting point. I haven't learned PHP yet, though, so I wouldn't know, but I have seen some great things done in PHP.

And more realevent to the topic, I've seen the old layout, and I definetly agree with the most of you more. This new design is significantly better.

17. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    PHP is very easy to learn as compared to other web-programing languages. Example, Time take to learn PHP for me: 4 months, and I'm still learning, I've managed to put off arrays untill this point heh, I don't like arrays that much for some reason. Getting back on topic, it is possible to create diffrent colors for diffrent forums, just count up the number of forums, create the emerald icons, specificly lable the image for a specific forum id, example

Code (Text):
    1. if ($fid  == 2) { $img = "path/to/img.gif"; }
    Then write in a way to create the forums list using the images. Another simple way is to use the case switch function.

EDIT: forgot the ; :o