don't click here

"Fog computing" inititive announced for Sega arcade machines

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by The Joebro64, May 27, 2020.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    This seems VERY sensationalizing. They sure as hell aren't making a new console, at least.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So the same bullshit that gets touted every single time Sega so much as breathes.

Neat.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I mean, the guy is saying it's a huge story. And it's getting published in one of the most respected publications in the industry. It's definitely going to be something interesting.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    God PLEASE not a new console. I don't want to buy a console just for Sonic.

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    To be frank, the PS5 reveal wasn't that huge either, now was it? :V

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Been hearing a lot of rumours recently over a deal between Microsoft and SEGA, rekindling their Dreamcast/Xbox days.

Seems most likely to me that SEGA are going to release the new Xbox in Japan under their brand name, because Japanese aren't buying it otherwise.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Hah. If that happens, I wonder how many Westerners would import just to have a Sega console?

9. Agobue

Agobue

Hints of a major announcement from Sega next week have got some people convinced that the Dreamcast 2 is real.

For a few years after Sega went third party every E3 was filled with rumours about the Dreamcast 2 and Sega’s dramatic re-entry into the hardware business.

After a while though, people realised that was never going to happen and that Sega had fundamentally changed as a company, from the days when it made the Master System and Mega Drive.

But the company’s 60th anniversary is coming up and it’s clear it’s planning to make a big deal of it, with one Japanese journalist claiming he has a ‘huge scoop’ that will ‘rile up the games industry’.

During a YouTube livestream, tech journalist Zenji Nishikawa said the news was on the same scale as the initial PlayStation 5 announcement in Wired.

That doesn’t mean it’s a hardware announcement though, just whatever it is will have the same impact on the industry as a whole. Which… makes it sound like a hardware announcement.

Whatever the reveal is it will apparently take place in the issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine due out on 4 June (between this, the rumoured PlayStation 5 reveal and Call Of Duty Season 4, next week is going to be very busy).

‘Last year, Wired got the exclusive story on PlayStation 5, right? Other media didn’t. It’s that level of a scoop’, said Nishikawa, as translated by website Gematsu.

‘I interviewed a certain company’s executive and technical staff, it’s really revolutionary… really, it’s a revolution.’

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/28/fans...onsole-60th-anniversary-dreamcast-2-12769757/

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    God I hope not I prefer Sega as a 3rd party. Who would want a Sega console these days anyway? Their exclusives would be, what, Sonic and Yakuzas 0 - 146?

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Ten years ago I was approached once to write games articles for the Metro. I think - it was hard to tell how legitimate the email was. I reckon I could write a better article than that.

Typically "uuhuhhhhh Dreamcast 2" posts come from people who don't really understand how the industry works, but yes, Sega could release a console... if you count the possibility of "Saturn mini"s or "Dreamcast minis".

Although I do sort-of like the idea of a Sega-badged Xbox as was mentioned in the other topic. Taking an Xbox Series X and stripping it of its stupid name and likely horrible, ad-infused UI would be beneficial to everybody. Assuming the PlayStation 5 isn't a significantly better machine, because then it'll be difficult to care.

12. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Remember a few years ago when fans kept bringing the heated discussion and rumors about "Dreamcast 2" lmao

I'm sure the upcoming news will be exciting, but let's not go beyond realistic expectations.

13. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
  14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Now that PS Vita is dead, the market is ready for Game Gear 2: NepGear

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    They'll have to call it the "Sega Neptune X" or it will muck up the HyperDimension Neptunia continuity

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Last time Sega met with Xbox everyone thought that Microsoft was buying them.

17. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I want a Nepgear!

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Maybe it's a new mini console? *crosses fingers for Saturn Mini*

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’d love it to be a mini console but that’s not something that would affect the industry as they’ve suggested.

I can’t believe though that SEGA would attempt to release a console, and I find it quite funny that people still think a Dreamcast 2 would ever happen. SEGA have about 4 games that they could release and even then they take years to release them so I don’t see much in the way of them being able to compete with the other consoles with little to no exclusives.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Maybe it will be a Saturn Mini with a full size CD drive, effectively re-releasing the Saturn with the ability to play the entire Saturn library, not just the ones stored in memory.

I guess this would be a "revolution" in the mini console sector.

How is Saturn emulation these days? Any Saturn "System on a chips" out there? (I doubt it).