don't click here

Flute part in game missing in final soundtrack release? (Sonic R)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Maroon Hat Hacker, Jan 7, 2023.

1. The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Exploiter Member
    So this has been driving me a little insane...

I've Sonic R for PC, and for fun, I loaded the music files into audacity.

It was whilst I was listening to Regal Ruins "Back in Time" when I heard something weird at the beginning of the track: a flute part.

What was weirder was that the published soundtrack (I listened on yt music) contained no such part at all.

Then I was driven insane by the fact this weird anomaly wasn't mentioned by anyone anywhere. My question is, am I just going insane? Has this been mentioned before?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    You're 100% right. That's why I've uploaded it to my YouTube channel some time ago:

I like it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Exploiter Member
    Bizzare.

I'm glad to know that I've not gone insane.

Wonder why they removed it in the published soundtrack?

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    oh god, oh god has anyone checked on jungle joyride recently

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Typical Sega problem. They had something good going but decided to fuck it up.

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    That's a neat find. Got nothing to say other than that, really. SEGA seems to have little goofs like this on their soundtrack releases occasionally, can't think of any others off the top of my head right now lmao, but this is one of the most egregious I've seen. Must've just been negligence or a really strange yet deliberate choice.
    Also I didn't get what you were saying at first, but wtf you're totally right. The flute has a very similar melody to the opening of Jungle Joyride - Day. What an odd coincidence. Maybe it's the same sample?

7. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Im surprised, always heard the flute version. Didn't know there was one without it.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've always been of the understanding it is in fact the same sample, from the first moment I'd heard it.

9. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Same here. I always listened to the Redbook Audio rips from the Saturn version and never the actual, officially released soundtrack. But today I listened to Back in Time from that release and... yeah, that flute is not there. Wonder why they mixed it differently for the OST?

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    My guess: They just took whatever version sounded the most finished to them at the time and put it on a CD. I don't feel like they really cared when they put Sonic Adventure artwork and the Sonic R logo next to each other and called it a cover.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Exploiter Member
    Can you blame them for not caring?

It wasn't like Sonic R was a success at all.

12. MastaSys

MastaSys

I'll bet it's one of the games most sold in bargain bins around the world.

Not even joking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    O_o

I don't have sales figures in front of me, but I think that's a bit extreme. Surely it did well enough that they've re-released it many times, including (I think) twice on PC alone. I always got the impression that most people at a minimum thought it was a decent enough game.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Top tip: post them both so we don't have to go searching:

The OST is a different mix that's not designed to loop, so might be an older version, or a later one, or whatever.

The instrumental version has a flute... although the instrumental versions have lots of subtle differences IIRC. It's hard to tell - I lose brain cells with the vocals on so my judgement might not be accurate.

You might get answers in the prototypes/demos and/or any differences between Saturn, PC and Gems Collection, but I suspect it was a special mix for the album that forgot the flute for whatever reason.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    LMAO between this and Frog Forest Act 2 in Heroes, someone at Sega hates flute parts :ruby:

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Wtf. I've always heard the flute version.

17. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Same.

So what's wrong with Frog Forest Act 2?

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Pretty different arrangement between the known beta releases and the final version that, go figure, got rid of a flute part and replaced it with a synth line that turned the whole song into something in the style of Bitches Brew or On the Corner era Miles Davis

19. The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Maroon Hat Hacker

The Exploiter Member
    How many people have not listened to the published soundtrack before now? Seems like a lot.

I mean, I had the opposite reaction. I'd listened to the sound on streaming services before listening to the music used in game. And so my reaction was "Where did this flute part come from?"

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

The fluteā€™s in Gems Collection on GameCube, which is a port of the PC version, IIRC.