Fleetway appreciation / STC:O thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Pengi

Pengi

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Nova

Nova

オ カ エ リ ナ サ λ Site Staff
    Love reading how Burton related the series to 2000AD and it's success - quite personally interesting to me considering the very first issue of 2000AD I actually bothered to pick up myself had the A.H.A.B. story by the combination of Kitching and Elson.

3. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So I found out something interesting the other week which I always suspected but had a first hand account now from someone who I'll have to keep annon.

Apparently. Sega owns the rights to STC. Apparently they retained all the rights including the publication rights after the comic was cancelled.

A while ago Rebellion effectively bought Egmont Fleetway's entire back catalogue and it seems STC isn't included in it.

Edit: OMG!!

https://twitter.com/mikeoholic/status/1291054266556137473?s=19

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

Gimme the book, SEGA.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Aros gartref, diogelu'r GIG, achub bywydau Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    God yes I would buy the shit out of StC compilations. I have hope considering hints that are in that survey.

6. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I don't think the survey and this tweet are related.

I did once ask the STC guys if they would ever consider kickstarting a physical compilation of some of the STCO strips and the response was that they had discussed it but since they're on good terms with Sega they wouldn't want to risk it with something like that.

But I'm not sure Sega would do anything since there have been other Sonic comic style books released.

Either way...

Gimme an official STC omnibus please.

7. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    I would adore a physical collection - bot how to do it? Even just just the main Sonic strips would be amazing... Although personally the Knuckles side stories were my personal highlight.

This needs to happen :)

Edit when i re-read the article linked above:

LOL!!!!
    Even back in the early 1990s, THEY KNEW ABOUT THE TEETH:)
    The Sonic Movie early designs last year have no excuse :)

8. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

The big question I have regarding STC reprints today is....

Do they have the original scans?

Because STC pages were not done digitally and whilst the art was returned to the artists, Elson has sold off tons of his work. Carl Flint has sold tons of his. Mick McMahon has sold off all his artwork.

Casanovas has died and his original art hasn't been found.

And Nigel Dobbyn sold around 95% of his work before he passed last year.

If they don't have the original scans, the only way I can see them doing it is from scans of physical issues which.... Good Lord would be slow expensive and have a host of problems in itself!

9. Pengi

Pengi

I would hope so. Egmont-Fleetway had a seemingly complete archive of the necessary assets in 2001, since they'd spent years reprinting the old stuff. If Sega truly does have the rights to STC, these assets should, in theory, be in their possession. Unless they lost them, or never asked for them.

In the case of Star Wars, LucasFilm owned all the rights to the 1970s Marvel comics, so when Dark Horse got the license they had access to all of those old assets and were able to reprint them. The same thing happened again when Marvel got the license back and started reprinting Dark Horse's Star Wars comics. Similar things have happened with comics like Transformers, G.I. Joe and Ninja Turtles over the years. I know IDW did a reprint book of the UK Transformers comics, for example.

But this is all counting on Sega (Europe? Japan?) having their shit together, which isn't always a safe bet...

It's viable. It's absolutely less than ideal, but it's viable. You can buy facsimile editions of old Beano annuals, which are produced from scans. They can get away with having a bit of a "worn" look to them though, given the old-timey nature of it. STC reprints would probably need to look more pristine, so might need some touch up if scanned from the printed page (being able to see the other side of the page on white areas due to thin paper, etc). But glossy paper comics from the 1990s should scan "cleaner" than 80 year old Beano books anyway.

I know that when Marvel were putting together some of their Marvel Masterworks hardcovers (working from old film) they'd put a call out to the art collector community, to see if anyone owned the original art and could scan them at the appropriate dpi. Anyone who did so would get a special thanks credit in the book.

Richard Elson would digitally colour his later Sonic work, so it's possible he might still have those files on a hard drive somewhere.

I really want these books to happen, even if some compromises are necessary. I'd certainly pay a premium price for them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

... You know Elson actually might still have that info.

I spoke to him a lot a few years back and he still has the invoices for the Sonic Yearbooks. Including who did all the other unknown artwork and scripting.

I really need to ask him about that again since it would be good for the wiki completion.

11. Pengi

Pengi

Any and all behind the scenes info would be inherently interesting. It would be neat to know the time frame he worked on the Yearbook, since they're usually given a big lead time.