don't click here

First post, first findings

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Guess Who, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I have found a method of putting the sprites in final Hidden Palace without making a rom hack. It's really simple, you just need Esreal Sonic Editor, a savestate of Sonic 2 Beta in HPZ, and a save of Sonic 2 Final in HPZ with debug activated.
    Using ESE, use the Sonic 1>Sonic 2 savestate converter. Convert the savestate from S2B into the S2 Final save. Then open up the save. The sprites should be there.

Download it here!
    http://guesswhodownloads.tripod.com/sonic2.gs3

NOTICE: DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM HERE. SCROLL DOWN AND DOWNLOAD FROM LINK 2

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    If I'm not much mistaken, Nemesis has already done this. Look on his website.

Very good for finding that though. You're learning.

*gets looks from the real experts* Okay, I'll shut up now. I am in fact still learning as well.

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    ;) Interestingly enough, Nemesis really inspired me to do this.

"You will notice a weird screwup with some of the pulsing balls in the zone. That's because these patterns are animated paterns, so a rom hack would be required to fix that."
    - Nemesis

4. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    With that I get a frozen picture of Sonic and Tails standing at the beginning of HPZ. All sprites seem to be intact but the emulator has frozen.

5. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Was it my savestate you downloaded? Maybe I uploaded the wrong savestate... ;)
    I'll fix that.

Yeah, that was the wrong one. Sorry! I'm uploading the new one!

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
  7. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
  8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I know, but the other one was just a Sonic 2 Beta save I renamed to be a sonic 2 one to see what would happen.

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    That convertor is, as its name suggests, supposed to be used for porting S1 levels to S2. I fail to see how it could be used to play HPZ in S2Final.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Indeed.

11. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    Guys, he's new, and he needs to learn. Anyhoo, guess_who, welcome to S2B!

12. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    He may be new, but it is just SAD that he COMPLETELY FAILED to notice that the button said "S1 - S2." And just LOOK at what the menu looks like. It is CLEARLY labled "Sonic 1 Save State" and "Sonic 2/S2B Save State". Sorry if I'm overreacting somewhat, but there have been too many n00bs poping up lately, and I don't want this to be another one... so far, he still has "newbie" status, I guess, but still, you never know...

Attached Files:

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I know it is for Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, but Sonic 2 Beta is coded off Sonic 1, so I figured I'd see what would happen.

It didn't make it playable (floors, tiles), it just brought the animated sprites in. Download the savestate or try it yourself - it does work.

14. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    If I were you, I wouldn't doubt Nemesis. He really does know what he's talking about.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I know he knows what he's doing, but I just was seeing what would happen if I combined a Sonic 2 HPZ save with a S2B save

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.