don't click here

Fan-made Level for sonic hacks Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by RyanHedge, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    First I want to ask about a level I'm working and get some feed back.
    It Doesn't have a name yet I just cal RL00 for the time being. But the name CyberCity seems to suit very well. The problem I'm having is I don't know enough about level making yet. This is my first attempt at it and I'm learning fast. I would like an old pro to tell me how I'm doing and what do I need to improve. Also is considered a 8-bit game level like for the GG/MS or 16-bit one for a G/MD type game?

This is my latest Version

[​IMG]

It's still early in development but I thuoght this is the best point to get advice.

P.S.: If you want to talk about other level go right ahead. But I would realy like help on my level too.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    looks plain....makes me want to punch babies.

3. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Don't mind Hez, he's always like that. :P

There's not much to base an opinion off, although here's a few pointers;
    - The ramp doesn't go into the ground entirely, which might be a bit of a problem in-game.
    - The platform's edges would probably look better if they were more curved instead of like stairs.

4. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    Thanks for the Advice Thunder. Just a note the ramp is ontop of the ground for a
    reason. I'm trying to make modularized part's so all you would have to do is drag and drop the level pieces into place. This will make it easier to build the levels. At least in my opinion. But the rounding part of the platform will be worked on.

5. Eli White

Eli White

That is already how Sonic games work. Before you draw level art, you should learn how the games work. This way you can make better levels by knowing the limitations of the game.

You should also study the art made by Sonic Team, learn the techinqes that they used. Make sure not to be lazy at all, otherwise a good level will be imposible to make.

6. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I like the Z80 chip on the platform. In fact after looking at it for a while, that platform's not bad.

The rest is par, and there's no background.

7. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    The backround is the last thing I'm adding in. I'm also glad to hear that someone notice the chip I made. I also made a 68K as well and started building the layout so here's a update. :)

[​IMG]

PS: I'm streamlining the circuitry right now and the next update will have the platforms and cleaner circuitry.

8. Robjoe

Robjoe

Those walls look like a two year old's scribblings in MS Paint, not to mention the entire thing looks bland, almost like the 8-bit games. The only thing that I can say that I actually like is the Z80 chip on the platform. Try and make things look more lively, as well as fix up those pipe-things. If you can't come up with enough ideas to liven things up, then you may be in over your head, so to speak. In that case, it'd be good to do simpler things until you can get enough ideas for your art. ;)

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Would you like to come bunch babies with me?

10. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    You no what Hez either shut and help or leave. I gess I met the first jack-ass troll here. Your the only one that isn't given advice. So like I said shutup and help or scram!

Yep been working on spelling and grammer it use to be worse.

Ps: Hez at first impressions you fail.

11. Robjoe

Robjoe

If you're going to insult Hez, or anyone for that matter, you may wanna improve on your spelling/grammar.

12. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Ehhh. No comment.

13. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    Ok this where I'll stop making the level so I can start making improvement's. First off the ramp needs to become smother and I need to learn how to make the Red irises look shiny like in Sonic2 HPZ. After that the green squares might need improvement.

[​IMG]

So if you can help I'll start working on it. Also Hez if you can act some what civilized and actually help than you more than wolcome to talk. ;)

14. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Did you use a freehand pen tool to draw those lines? You should draw things carefully, pixel-by-pixel instead.

15. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    Are you talking about the grey one I did them at 800% with a 1x1 pen. What do I need to do to them?

question: On the grey wires should I use different wires?

16. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    You know it all looks great exept for those pipe .. things. Those look terrible. I'm going to go kick puppies.

P.S. Please leave Hez alone, I've got his back, and he's Chuck Norris.

17. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    Your art seriously needs some work done on it. For starters, your circuitry is awful. The thickness and curviness of the wires is a real big turn off. I would suggest making them straight with 90 degree turns. Secondly, the platforms that Sonic is supposed to stand on look like it's all one color. With the way your colors look, it also makes it look too bright. Try using darker colors to help "flesh" things out. Or not, it's up to you.

18. Hello all. Just quick to say, Those metal strips on the floor & platforms need lots of straightening, But that's about the onsly problem I have with it. Oh, And those Tops of the platforms need thickening. Anyway, I'm not very hack experienced either, So if anyone would like to evaluate this(sorry 'bout the picture quality), And I don't want comments about how simple it all looks, That's the aim:

19. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I think it's too much to expect Hez (or anyone else) to be "civilised" without proving you deserve it first. We don't shower people in compliments without them deserving it here - if it sucks, expect people to say so.

The lines on the floors are horrific, and the rest isn't much to look at. Additionally, your colour scheme makes my eyes burn.

Newbie, teach thyself. Hez is rarely wrong.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Erm... I think it should look a bit more like this:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.