Extracting the contents of X68000 .DIM images

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andlabs, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I'm on Linux using VFIC on wine and it refuses to convert the .DIM files from TOSEC into anything (so I can put it in DiskExplorer), yelling UNSUPPORT FORMAT at me. Is there anything else I can do to extract the files from .DIM images? Thanks.

Floppy disk formats seriously need to stop having ambiguous filename extensions.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Extracted the files through an emulator.

What you need:
    • XM6 Pro-68k, an edit of the XM6 emulator by MIJET of fan translation fame. You'll need both the standard package and the DLL package. You'll also need the IPL ROM for an X68000, which was released freely by Sharp several years ago. X68BIOSE.LZH will work; you can use The Unarchiver (Mac/Linux, command line only for Linux) (not sure about Windows, sorry) to extract the IPLROM.DAT file which goes in the same directory as XM6.exe.
    • Human68k, the standard operating system on the X68000, also released free of charge by Sharp. To make things easy, you want HUMN302I.LZH.
    • DiskExplorer

What to do:
    1. Open XM6. Go to Tools > Make a New SASI Fixed Disk. Place it somewhere and give it a name. In the next dialogue, everything's set up optimally (40MB is the largest disk you can have and logical formatting doesn't seem to pose a problem) so just click OK.
    2. Now go to Tools > Options. In the SASI tab, add a drive, then double-click the new entry in the table and choose the disk image we just created.
    3. Now go to Floppy Drive #0 > Open. Choose the HUMAN302.XDF we extracted from HUMN302I.LZH.
    4. Go to File > Reset to reset emulation, as we need to reboot the X68000 for the SASI mounting to take effect.
    5. Once the Human68k prompt comes up, type format and hit Enter. Follow these instructions to format the drive. Make this drive a system drive so we can run Human68k off it and not have to worry about our HUMAN302.XDF later.
    6. Once formatting is done, go to Floppy Drive #0 > Eject, then File > Reset. We will now be booting off the newly formatted drive.
    7. We can now browse around and copy files. Human68k's command set is similar to MS-DOS's. Human68k doesn't work like MS-DOS, so our hard drive will be mounted on drive A:. Disks we insert into floppy drive #0 will appear as drive B:, and disks inserted into floppy drive #1 will appear as drive C:. So to look at the contents of floppy drive #0, we say dir /w b: (/w is used to avoid the file list rolling off the top of the screen), then mkdir game and copy b:\*.* game to grab all the files into our hard disk image.
    8. Once everything's done, exit XM6 (Human68k doesn't need an explicit shutdown command) and open DiskExplorer. Select our hard disk image and click OK when asked for the format (it'll automatically detect that this is a Human68k disk image. DiskExplorer's interface should be somewhat trivial (left pane for folders, right pane for files). Select files in the right pane and go to File > Extract to finally get them out.

This will only work for floppy disks that are formatted by Human68k. I've tried several games and so far, only one was not — alas, it was Thunder Force II, one of the games I was hoping to grab stuff off. Human68k will report that the drive has zero files for these types of disks. (Thankfully, the demo version Tecnosoft distributed over the web in late 1988/early 1989 is formatted with Human68k, so I grabbed the files off that.)

I ran into an issue after copying data from Akumajou Dracula disk 1 where Human68k stopped letting me do stuff to the drive, even though I could remove stuff from within DiskExplorer, and without telling me why. I have no idea, nor do I know if it's specifically an issue with Akumajou Dracula, so eh.

Some of the places I've linked are pages in sites that can provide more information. If you want to learn more, just do some browsing there.

I hope this helps anyone with issues.

Thanks to Sik for the dir /w advice.

EDIT
    gah, the GameSX link with the formatting instructions died (hopefully temporarily!) when I made this post; here are the formatting instructions from the linked page:
    The site indicated that the above blurb "is licensed under the following license: CC Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported"