External Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Crasher, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    So my laptop is OK, but has a crappy graphics card. It's an integrated Intel HD Family.

But anyway, I was remembered something about hooking up a graphics card via USB or something, and that would allow it to use the external one, instead of the internal one. After Googling for a bit, I still haven't really come any closer to my answer. The most I found was a DIY guide about it using components my laptop doesn't have (mainly an ExpressCard reader IIRC).

So does anyone here know anything like this, or know any better solutions? The laptop is great, it can run most programs, but the graphics card is just... bad I guess. Most recent games (Sonic Generations, Skyrim) will run OK, but I know it can do better. It's just the graphics card that's holding it back. I've also done some searching on if I could switch out the graphics card, like on a desktop, but I couldn't really find anything specific apart from that some laptops can, and some can't.

I'm using a Toshiba Portege R835, with 4 GB of RAM, a Windows 7 64-Bit OS system, and a 2.5 GHz processor.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Without an ExpressCard reader, I don't think there's much you can do. I thought I remembered a dock by some company that connected over USB, but I can't find it now.
    EDIT: Thought I edited earlier. Oh well. If your wireless adapter connects with a mPCIe slot, you can use that DIY eGPU thing.