don't click here

Explaining Our Downtime

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tweaker, Aug 8, 2009.

1. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Unfortunately, my windows install of firefox had been configured to wipe cache on closing. I could check IE cache, and I don't know how I'd pull things from my chrome cache but I doubt there's anything left as I had reinstalled chrome just prior to all this happening. I might have better luck with my linux partition which I haven't booted recently. If I knew how to pull everything off my cache files from there and check it, I'd do that. Can't say it'd help much, but it'd help a little.

2. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    I'm not sure how surprised I should be by this. A site I administer had been hacked a while back, and while everyone was saying "Tails92! Tails92!", the IPs didn't match up, so naturally we went by an innocent-until-proven-guilty method until further notice. Now that I see this, well... looks like I have another ban to set.

Overall, I'm really impressed at how well this site has been holding up even in spite of recent hackings and drama, and I'd like to say cheers to the staff for how solidly you've been handling the issues. Stay strong, Retro.

3. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I didn't enter the IRC chat while Retro was down, so forgive me if these questions have already been asked or answered:

Did the attack compromise our security? Should we change our passwords or anything?

Also, how should we go about helping to repair the wiki? Do we just re-upload any images we notice are missing, or what?

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You seem a bit too concerned for a newbie.

5. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Never a dull moment on this retro, that's for sure.

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    The word "arselicker" springs to mind

No, but anyway, in terms of game/hack screenshots, would it suffice to just open the ROM and go cap-happy? Because I can do that much! =P

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    EDIT: disregard this. The preferred method now is this one:
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=339556

In case somebody wants to help and is using plain Windows, here goes something you can do to help. The idea is that you do a massive scan of the files in your hard disks to calculate their SHA1 hashes. GerbilSoft then can go and check them against the wiki database to see if there are any matches. It is suggested to not scan all of the hard disk at once but in parts.

First, get Cygwin. How to download and install should be obvious >_>

Now, open the Bash shell (Start -> Programs -> Cygwin -> Cygwin Bash Shell). Go to the directory you want to scan. To go to the drive it is, type in the following:
    Code (Text):
    1. cd /cygdrive/<drive-letter-goes-here>
    To switch to a directory in the current one:
    Code (Text):
    1. cd <directory-name-goes-here>
    You may need to enclose the name between quotes if the name contains spaces or rare characters:
    Code (Text):
    1. cd "<directory-name-goes-here>"
    To go back one directory:
    Code (Text):
    1. cd ..
    Once you're in the directory you want to scan, type in the following:
    Code (Text):
    1. find ./ -type f -exec sha1sum \{\} >> sha1.log \;
    This will scan all the files in the current directory and all the subdirectories and calculate their SHA1 hash values. Then it'll record them in a file called "sha1.log" in that very same directory. You can send this file to GerbilSoft so he can look for a match within the wiki database.

WARNING: doing this will send the hard disk usage to practically 100%. So anything involving the hard disk will be slowed down tremendously... and everything else as well because Windows is that shitty. Either way, bear this into mind, and if you're going to scan your files for any matches, do so whenever you don't need to use the hard disk heavily (in particular, forget about playing most games at full speed during this time).

WARNING 2: this will also send a list of filenames of every file that goes through the scanning to GerbilSoft. So if you don't want anything to become accidentally public, don't scan it.

EDIT: fixed command for OSX users.

EDIT 2: added quotes remark for directories with spaces in their names.

8. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Alright, let me see if I've got this right.

We scan our HD with Cygwin (I know where I have all the stuff I've got from Sonic Retro, so it'd be easy to do just those directories), and send the hashes to GerbilSoft.

GerbilSoft then checks to see if we have any files that haven't been recovered yet.

Then, I suppose, we'd get replies saying to please send the files themselves, if there were useful ones.

What if we have images that might be resized/resampled/from another source which would be just as good but wouldn't have the same hash?

I notice all the manual scans are still missing, and I've got a whole bunch of them. I'd like to know how to proceed.

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Then they wouldn't the be files lost from the wiki :P Replacements for lost files will come later as far as I know.

10. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
  11. MXJ

MXJ

Sonic Universe (Being procrastenated)
    Again!? Wow, this is starting to get annoying...

12. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I probably should have realised this before, but I just noticed that all the utilities, hacks, and other uploads are gone, too - not just images. :(

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
  14. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I'm having an issue with Wiki pages not loading while logged in. When I log out, I can view them. It doesn't appear to be every page, but still a lot...

Code (Text):
    1. mySQL query error: SELECT id, member_id, running_time, location FROM ibf_sessions WHERE id='id'
    3. SQL error: MySQL server has gone away
    4. SQL error code: 2006
    5. Date: Wednesday 12th o&nbsp;&nbsp;August 2009 12:59:28 PM
    There was an id in there, not sure if I should post that or not.

15. RogerTH

RogerTH

I never thought this'd be my first post...cause my first post was gonna be a question till this happend, but...
    My fist is burning to somehow punch this idiot though the screen...I'm so upset. I kinda wish I could've helped, but I'm not good with all that internet stuff... =P
    GerbilSoft, let's just say...If I was extra emotional...I'd be crying for you, but I'm not so a high ten for you...you're awesome for what you did. ;)

16. coder12

coder12

Chances are you've already heard of this. but maybe the internet archiver grabbed ahold of the pictures somehow.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

I wish I could help more but that's all I've got right now!