don't click here

Emulating Sonic CD (JAPAN)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    The emulator that I frequently use is Kega Fusion. I play games for all systems on it (the classics). I play Sonic CD (USA) using the original CD. I am wondering if you have to play the Japanese version using the original CD as well?

It was mentioned before that there is a rom download for SCD (J) somewhere but I forgot the link, do you know where I can the rom download?

Also, do you have to configure Fusion a certain way to execute the rom file? (considering it's the Japanese version).

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    For future reference, this is not a ROM request forum. Do not ask for ROMs here—Google will help you with that.

As for emulation, you don't have to use the original CD, but it might be helpful if you had it. To play it, you need to have all three regions for the Sega CD BIOS configured in the emulator's options menu.

3. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I'm good to go, thanx. If no further discussion, trash it Tweaker.

4. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    You can pretty much get the experience of the Japanese version if you download the soundtrack and put it in the folder with the .iso file, naming them "(ISO file name minus '.iso')xx.mp3" with "xx" being a number starting at 01 and going through 30 whatever. So for example, if my file is called "scd.iso", I'll want to name the first music file "scd01.mp3". You can find track lists on GameFAQs, and do make sure that Palmtree Panic Present DOES have a file before it or else you will be sad. (So put some random file that's "whatever01.mp3" and have Palmtree Panic Present, the "real" first track, be "whatever02.mp3".) Also note that the opening and closing cinematics will still have the Sonic Boom theme, but all of the in-level music is the same. You probably already know that this is because these songs are actual parts of the movie file and the movies have been timed to synch up with the music, so yeah.

If you just want to play the Japanese version straight and Kega Fusion isn't doing it for you, give Gens a shot because I've got it to run like that before. Just remember to format the RAM before you try to play.

I really like the Sonic Boom opening, so I often do this. Or I'll mix songs from each soundtrack that I like, since I think they're both fantastic. Best of luck to you, and have fun!

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Tracks start at 02, not 01. Remember, the data track is the first track on the CD. You usually don't need to have a "blah_01.mp3" in order for the emulator to work properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.