don't click here

Dust Hill Zone question

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by T.Q., Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Can someone tell me, is there a problem with the colour scan of the zone mock-up, or is it suppose to look like the way it is?

If it is suppose to be the way it is, then why is it that in a November 1992 issue of the Sears, Roebuck and Co. the colours are different [click here for the link and go to DHZ page, or Cut Out]?

Also if this zone is suppose to be scrapped almost near the beginning of development, why is it that this zone was used to advertise the Sonic 2 game? Why wouldn't they use another zone that is guaranteed to be used in the game?

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, the colors on the popular scan are messed up. Check Sonicoloy, they have two different scans.

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    There was a scan from a magazine that had the correct colors. When Sonic has the same colors as in Sonic 1, the scan is correct. However, it is a mock-up.

4. T.Q.

T.Q.

Ok, thank you folks for answering questions 1 and 2. Now comes the next question, number 3.

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    If not Rika and I can answer these following questions, I guess no one can :P

Well, read the Tim Skelly interview you can find here:
    http://www.shadowsoft-games.com/sonicdatabase

He tells why zones in general got scrapped

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's the only two existant scanned pictures that make a reference to Dust Hill:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OMG LAWL SURPRISE :blink:

7. T.Q.

T.Q.

Let's not get into this arguement again.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No need to argue about anything, as the scans speak for themselves...

Just wanted to inform him about some of the progress the "Sonic research communities" have made in the last 5 years, since he didn't seem to know about that.

9. T.Q.

T.Q.

oh, nevermind. I'll say my argument points for later. I was about to list my hypothesis as to why Dust Hill Zone was reused in a November issue of the Sears catalogue, but I really don't what to "start another fire", if you know what I mean.

And as eveyone can see, I decided to leave the topic open for discussion.

10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I know "Desert" was meant to be named Dust Hill. ICEknight, you should know that of all people, you were the one that hosted the interview on the web site.

"DESERT WAS DUST HILL"-BRENDA ROSS

I trust Brenda Ross, a person who worked on the game-no, a person who MADE THE LEVEL more than I trust a bunch of people with stupid theories. Seriously, ignoring that is just stupid.

In our beta, Mystic Cave is Dust Hill. That is unarguable. The magazine scans are obviosly from our beta! :huh: Yes, what a surprise!

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Brenda Ross was being manipulated by the interviewer Deviance since he told her the name was Dust Hill before she answered the question. Or Deviance changed her interview to say Dust Hill so that you people could get a reference of what she was speaking of. Some newbies couldn't understand the name Desert and connect it to the desert mock-up I guess.

12. T.Q.

T.Q.

But what about the second interview conducted by Wetflame? In this archived topic Posted: Sep 15 2004, 12:57 PM , Brenda Ross confirmed that Dust Hill Zone WAS SUPPOSE to belong to her desert level? What has become of that?

13. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Oh no! Again...
    You can think what you want people, I have my opinion, and I will keep it.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    NO!

Look at those shots. They show objects and a boss. The MCZ in our beta is almost completley empty.

15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    More specifically, they show the hanging vines which, while the graphics are present in our prototype, are actually replaced by switches in our version.

And, yes, the boss. This shows that even later on in development, the level was still referred to as Dust Hill.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Here's my attempt at at least informing people of what we know about the Desert Zone's name. I'm not a great writer though so it gets a bit messy towards the end :P

Go ahead and list it you've got my curiosity now :)

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I see you don't remember that she later said:

Something that can't be taken out of context in any way, and shows how she was referring to it by the name of Dust Hill just to answer the guys that called it like that. That's why I added that quote to the "background info" of the interview at my site.

Also, none of the developers I asked later about the level referred to it as Dust Hill, something that didn't surprise me in the least.

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Meh. Oh well. I'm screwed.

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well I think it should be put in context! :)
    I have to admit the "sure" doesn't inspire confidence, it's a shame we can't trust the person who designed the level art :P

20. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I'm going to stay on the "not-called-Dust-Hill" side of this fence. Dust Hill == Mystic Cave. We have evidence for that. I prefer evidence to tenuous evidence, and the explanation for how it could suddenly flip-flop from Dust Hill being the desert level to Dust Hill being the label for Mystic Cave is fishy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.