don't click here

"Dust Hill" meaning researched

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic Hachelle-Bee, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Shame, though to be totally honest I don't want to get involved in your personal disagreements. Anyway people really are gonna have to be diplomatic about this, we must not waste the oppotunity! :(

EDIT:
    He may have materials, but we can dump things like roms for him anyway, these days you only need a cable and a mega/sega cd! He may be reluctant to post it though as these roms are valueble on ebay.

2. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Do you think he'd be that cheap? If he is, then all I can say is "woah. Loser."

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

I meant he might be worried that he'd post it to someone and they'd sell it :P And besides I don't know what he's like yet, I'm just hoping he's friendly :D
    EDIT: Unless you meant WetFlame :huh:, in which case I don't know much about him either.

4. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    I mean the Sega dude. This all sounds like promising stuff though :D

5. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    That's a great opportunity we shouldn't waste!
    What's about Genocide City? He might know how the level looked like (or was planned to be).
    A flooded city, a burning city, a graveyard, another thing...?
    We should try, he was at one of the best place (as the art director) to answer this question.

EDIT:
    Hey! Are you saying that the desert level "was indeed intended to be Dust Hill"?
    After all, this topic about this level name wasn't a waste of time. ^_^

6. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
    I'm pretty sure Genocide City was just ARZ, since that's the onyl Genocide mentioned in the Sonic 2 Manual =P

No real 100% confirmation on the name there I'm afraid. We'll have to wait on Skelly, he might know more about it.

But purely from a sensible point of view, and the fact that talking to Brenda actually in real-time helped see how smart she was with these things (She replied almost instantly, so she remembers this stuff. She probably read up on old stuff a while after we contacted her)

7. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    You may try to ask him anyway.
    I think some more informations about this level (even a few) are always welcomed, aren't they?

8. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Wetflame and Brenda, sitting in a tree-- *SHOT*.

Well, since we have one thing cleared up, maybe there's more to come. Like the connection between DHZ and MCZ.

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Looks like you were right :D

<searches sonic 2 credits for skelly> Hmm he's in the specialstage art and cg section (like what brenda said first), not chief of art or anything :/ The credits may be innaccurate but in either case he'll probably know something we don't anyway.

This is so exciting :D

10. Wetflame

Wetflame

No, that's right. Just got confused XD

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I don't think so, because "Neo Green Hill Zone" and "Genocide City Zone" were both in the S2b level select.

12. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    Okay so if Tim Skelly is the art director I would recommend these questions:

1.) What level art for the zones that were cut were actually finished?
    2.) Was art started for other zones that are not known about?
    3.) Was the art for any of the final zones seriously altered at one point?

If he's just the bonus stage guy then I say these questions:

1.) What were some other designs for the bonus stage?
    2.) Was there originally going to be more than one bonus stage?
    3.) How was the bonus stage originally going to be accessed?

Now he probably won't know the last one for the bonus stage but I'm just coming up with ideas here. Also, these questions may be better reworded etc. but again I'm just coming up with ideas.

I'm glad to finally have the whole Dust Hill thing cleared up though.

13. Wetflame

Wetflame

Tim Skelly agreed to anwer some questions, so I sent him some. He might not remember that much though =( And apparently someone once contacted him before.

Although this bit is sort of interesting =P

Q: A ROM of it, as you may be aware, was leaked quite some time ago, and
    many images of other Beta versions, too (Just one or two, most of them
    are Mockups) Do you remember much from it?

A: I only know that ROMS were frequently burned for in-house testing.

So it is possible to find another beta, if one got leaked or misplaced. Don't give up yet ^^

14. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Would you be posting the rest of the Q and A's here? This is some sweet stuff!

15. Wetflame

Wetflame

He says, unfortunately, most of what he's seen image-wise, he's seen looking through these type of sites. So, he won't have any new artwork or Zone concepts to give us unfortunately.
    He says most of the Sonic 2 Beta craze is based on various scrapped ideas and artworks =P

He doesn't remember level names in specific; so he won't be able to ask.

It's best to ask about General gameplay ideas if you want any answes; and rephrase things like "Genocide City" as a "City level" or "controversial level", if you want any answers.

I've already sent him about 15 questions; he should answer soon.

And apparently, he's been contacted before; but I don't know if he answered any big questions.

Btw, what is Yasuhara doing these days? I'm pretty sure it must be possible to contact him; since he's not working on anything huge. Game developers aren't always hard to find if you single them out, Andy Davidson, creator of Worms, talked with his fans a lot.
    I think he's still in Naughty Dog; so I contacted them :( They're not exactly that huge a comapny; smaller than Team17 probably =P

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    OMG ASC HIM ABOUTS TEH NUDE GIRL IN RINGOS OF. POWER!!!111

17. Wetflame

Wetflame

Haha. Anyway, I'm still waiting on further answers from Skelly |^^

18. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    He might know something about planned bosses for the lost levels (or the others).
    I think he will not remember or know them, but we should try to ask him (as well for the city level).

19. Wetflame

Wetflame

Hachelle, I'm going to show Brenda the recreated Dust Hill Zone from your Sonic 2 complete hack, is that okay? Did you make the level, or did someone else?

20. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    If I'm remembering right, the version used in that hack was originally ported from Esrael's hack. I don't exactly think Es is a great level designer but to each his own. Maybe the level was changed in the latest version of SHB's hack but I don't know.