don't click here

Dumped Next Generation Magazine September 1997 content

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by OKei, Jun 8, 2012.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I've recently rediscovered an ISO of a CD-ROM inside my old hard drive called the Next Generation September 1997. These were discs that were distributed into copies of Next Generation Magazine when you bought the magazine at the time. Included in the disc were lots of (low-quality 320x240) videos of PlayStation, Sega Saturn, & Nintendo 64 games that were featured at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) on June 1997 in Atlantic, Georgia.

I've found many beta clips of many different games inside this particular disc including Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Mega Man Neo (Legends), and Sonic R, all in their pre-release glory. The following videos have been edited to correct the contrast issues the videos had when it was first produced. They looked terrible (view this comparison: http://twitpic.com/9d1v6q).

This old early alpha gameplay footage of Crash Bandicoot 2 features several differences that indicate how early into production this game was when it was first announced in mid-1997. This video features annotations that go over said differences, including the original HUD font used from Crash 1, different object placements, etc..

This Sonic R footage features what appears to be a slightly (don't quote me, watch and decide for yourself) stage layout at the end of the stage. Different HUD (boy, this was publically a common beta game trait from those days huh?), and character icons, camera angles, etc. There might be a better quality version on YouTube somewhere, but I didn't find it until after this video was uploaded.

And finally, Mega Man Neo's trailer (which also includes annotations) can be found in an article on DASH Republic. Please visit the site and read our awesome article on the subject!
    http://www.dashrepub...-e3-1997-found/

OK, fine here:

One more thing. I can't remember where I found the ISO in the internet, but in case the download source is no longer available.

Here you go.

EDIT: MIRROR'd. NOW EVERYONE WINS!

I hope you fans get something neat out of this.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That the video opens referring to the game as "The Ultimate Sonic Adventure" is retroactively hilarious

3. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Edit: Could this please go into the trash?

4. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    In the disc contents also included a rare(?) interview with former Nintendo of America Howard Lincoln. The interview centered around the Nintendo 64 and its then-so far performance in sales and software output. There is also a big focus on former second-party British Nintendo developer Rare.

Also, there's now a mirror for the disc image, courtesy of the Wayback Archive (thanks to Foxhack for bringing it to my attention).