don't click here

Dump Mega Drive Audio Channels

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andeed, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Does anyone know of a tool/emulator with the ability to dump or extract audio from each of the 5 FM, 1 PCM and 4 PSG Mega Drive Channels individually?
    Searched the forum, couldn't find a similar request...

2. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    If you want to do this on a commercially-released game, you can go on Project 2612, download a VGM pack and listen to a track in Winamp/XMPlay using the in_vgm plug-in. The plug-in has a configuration dialog that lets you enable or disable individual channels.

3. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Brilliant, thanks :)

4. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Not to hijack the topic too much, but does anybody have the means to do this for MSX games? I configured BlueMSX so the music is the proper balance of PSG and SCC chip volume, and want to do some recordings for Youtube, since a lot of the stuff on there already [for the game I want to do, Nemesis II] faces this PSG / SCC chip audio imbalance, where either the SCC chip audio volume is too loud, or the other way around.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If you want to record "what you hear" as a whole without disabling channels, just go into your soundcard's mixer settings and set it to record from "stereo mix" or a similar name. Then run Goldwave, Cool Edit, or any other audio editor of your choice in the background, and let it record while you play.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Not all soundcards allow you to record like that, though, e.g. mine.

7. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Mine can, fortunately.

What I mean is being able to do what you can already do for other systems [NES, Megadrive, etc] to get just the music from [insert game title here]. Whatever I try googling gives be jack shit, and the game I want to rip music from is such where to go through without firing, or triggering SFX whilst dumping sound is impossible.

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Most games have a sound test you can use to counteract that.

9. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

I want to rip music from Gradius / Nemesis II for the MSX, which lacks the option. If only you could disable/enable channels like you can with Megadrive emulators like Gens and Genecyst [woah, talk about oldschool].

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I'd like to find a way to rip music from MSX/MSX2 games period. I'd like to rip the music from the Xevious games.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If you want to talk about MSX, then you should ask this guy. From what I gathered he knows a lot about MSX systems, and he is developing an emulator. With some luck you might get him to do what you want to do.