don't click here

Dual Gens Prototype Comparison Utility

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. STE

STE

True, true. I've had XP before, it was fucking great. Then I got this Virus that wouldnt let me open any Programs...
    So I gave it into where I bought it. They said come back in a week and I did and the Fucking Shop was... gone...
    Everything had been taken out of it... including my Computer...

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    ...ouch, that's unbelievable.

3. STE

STE

Yes. Now you know why Im stuck with ME... And there is no Upgrades for ME that change it to 2000. Damn you Microsoft! Well, at least I have a computer...

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Saying ME is horrible is like saying Hitler was a bit nasty.

Seriously though, downgrade to 98, it's a better OS.

5. STE

STE

So your saying is I should down-grade to get the Dual thingy working? Are you SURE? I really don't want to end up with a Crappy Computer... Actually, I don't think I will, seing as I've had this computer for ages and I have all my favourite stuff on it... And I havent got a Big enough Memory Stick. Ill just stick with my good ol' noggin' for telling these differences...=P

6. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Yes there is. Back up your shit, wipe the drive, and install 2000.

Actually, you may want to do this for ME -> XP as well. My upgraded XP system still seems to have parts of the ME driver interface.

7. Sister Miyagi

Sister Miyagi

I just tried this on Vista. I unzipped DualGens to its own folder, and ran dual.exe, like in the instructions. But pressing "run and detect" spawns two new windows, even if two are already running. None of the other buttons seem to have any effect. Also the windows spawn on top of each other, meaning I have to move one, meaning I have to pause its emulation, meaning they lose sync and I can't resync them because that button doesn't work.

And on top of that, the input doesn't go to both windows, just to one.

I think I broke it ;-;

I really doubt anyone can tell the difference between 16- and 32-bit color. It's like audiophiles arguing about how they can tell the difference between .mp3 and .FLAC, I think. And 32-bit color just takes up that much more memory.</opinion>

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Well, Vista sucks. My method is very hacky and Vista tneds to hate that sort of stuff so that's probably why, I doubt I'll ever be able to fix those problems.

9. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    You have to select the NON-Regen window or NON-Gens window that pops up in order for it to send the keys to both of the emulators, Sister Miyagi.
    Also, how long until there is a Kega version? I can't stand Regen or Gens.

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

I don't know if there will be one, KEGA is closed source.

11. Sister Miyagi

Sister Miyagi

I tried that, it still doesn't work. Ah, well...

Also, what's with all the hate for Gens? It seems like a perfectly competent emulator to me (and it lets me load save states that Kega refuses to for some reason).

12. It's been said over and over, Kega Fusion is the more accurate emulator with a larger compatibility than Gens. People hate Gens because the cores it uses are sucky, has limited 32X/Sega CD compatibility, and only works in 16-bit colors out of the box, which is enough right there to turn off most people.

About the save states, I have no idea what that's about. I'm perfectly able to save and load states on any game in Kega.

What's wrong with Regen? It's already more accurate and better than Gens in the way of accuracy and compatibility. Everyone's a critic. =P

13. Sister Miyagi

Sister Miyagi

pfft, whatever. Apparently you have never heard of the cream of the emulator crop: a little program called Genecyst... :cool:

14. And KGen kicked its ass.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I dunno, I always thought Genecyst was much better for debugging and user-friendliness... but KGen had superior sound emulation, even then! So I dunno; it's a close call.

16. Yep, that's around the time Steve Snake started doing the "impossible". KGen98 then, totally overtook Genecyst.

17. Sister Miyagi

Sister Miyagi

I used NESticle for the longest time for the same reasons; it would allow you to load up a ROM and edit the tileset in memory. Unfortunately, that leads to 8 million graphics/pallette hacks like this lovely NWS piece of work to exist.

But that's totally not the point of this topic.

18. And KGEN Was able to run many hacks perfectly (including megamix and s1oerg) while genecyst tended to crash when loading one.

19. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    All the people I actually know who use ME had no problems with it ever (not beyond what would screw up Win98 as well), and that's including myself.

also heil hitler