don't click here

Dual Gens Prototype Comparison Utility

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    [​IMG]

What this utility does is run 2 copies of a special version of the emulator gens which I have created, allowing you to load up two roms and compare minute differences. This version of Gens has been modified to have non-foreground access to the keyboard, meaning that you will always be controlling it, regardless of whether the window has focus. In theory you could even run more than 2.
    Download: http://jmuz.net/dual/dualgens.zip

To use...

1. Run the dual.exe program, you can then use the options on the right to select the 2 roms you wish to compare, though you can also do this from within the two copies of gens.

2. then click "Run and Detect Instances".

3. Once they have loaded click "Sync Reset" and play!

You are now controlling both emulators at the same time.

2. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This looks damn handy. Thanks! :D

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice idea, this should make some of the work a lot easier.

4. Jetstar

Jetstar

I haven't tried it, but is there a way to take a screenshot, set the opacity of each image to like 50% then combine them to see the difference? That'd be epic, dude.

Good work.

5. Hahahah, that's a lot of fun. Hard on the cpu to run two instances of Regen, but it was fun nonetheless playing Sonic 2 and Sonic 2 and Knuckles simultaneously.

It has a hard time loading two roms from the same folder, too.

6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    uhm... hate to ask but.. is it supposed to crash every time I try to load a save state?
    I'd like to be able to load it so I can use debug in some ROMs that don't have them right off the bat

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Oh jeez, I guess Regen is too buggy to be used in that way... I need to get working on controlling KEGA/Gens.

8. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    it's a good idea though. I mean I can really see how it'd be useful but... well my computer can't seem to run it properly >_<

it's a 7 year old computer y'know =P

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I am definitely going to be using this, thanks a lot! Also, have you looked into anything that runs mastersystem/gamegear roms yet? Those seem to be the protos with such minute differences that I cannot tell what's different.

EDIT: Actually, can we have a user defined amount of Regens running?

10. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
  11. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Yep, but since 0.3, he's started using Directinput like Gens and Kega.

Anyway I'm currently research Hooking with the directinput interface, looks complicated but it might be feasable.

12. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    That is awesome, I'll have to play with that tomorrow.

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Don't just change it because of me BTW, I have a really old computer and it doesn't run stuff like this well.
    it's a really awesome tool... uhm when I tried the earliest Sonic 3D blast beta with the final... wow, I couldn't keep up because of how different the layouts were. I didn't realize HOW different until this program though so thanks ^_^

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Nifty idea -- if you figure out the DirectInput hooking, and make it work on Kega, it will help immensely.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nah, it'd be better if it works for more applications simply for flexibilty purposes. I assume if you can get DirectInput going, it could work with any app that uses that method.... even emulators for other systems? =P

16. I want 4 copies of it running in gens, so I can do the impossible.

Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic and Knuckles, playthrough, simultaneously.

Either that or I'll go run out and grab 4 gamecubes, 4 wavebird inputs, and put them all on the same frequency. :P

17. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Very nice work. Probably going to be the most useful tool for my research on these betas. Nice work getting it done fast aswell.

18. STE

STE

Dang Nabbit! I have Windows 98 (Holy Shit! You should be saying) and when I try and Open a ROM, it freezes...
    Man, thank god all the other Emulators run at Top Speed on my computer...

19. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    It is a nice program, however it does seem to lag for me a bit, and I run Vista, but my computer is a dualcore, so would that affect how it runs?

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's supposed to be a dual-core enhanced version of it that I saw on eidolon's inn. I don't know how effective it is.