don't click here

Dreams come true songs with relations to Sonic music

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cooljerk, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The wiki page on this is seriously out of date and I figure we could do much better. I had at one point gone through and identified lots of songs in their discography that shared links with Sonic music, but the video was hit by the DMCA ages ago. Everyone always cites Million Kisses and Sweet Sweet Sweet, but there are others.

I'll get the ball rolling. This is very clearly using the bass line from Labyrinth Zone:

There were lots of others found going through their discography from around 1989 to 1993, but I've lost my notes. Figure others can fill it in.

Here's another, this contains parts of Scrap Brain Zone:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Never noticed that Kessen wa Kinyoubi used that bass line. Good find!

Marry Me? from the Sing or Die album sounds like Green Hill Zone at certain points (first time happens at the 0:35 mark)

English version of the song to those that prefer that one:

3. Pengi

Pengi

"Kusuriyubi no kesshin" (薬指の決心) from their 1991 album Million Kisses is essentially Star Light Zone.

Some miscellaneous Dreams Come True stuff:

Sonic Jam says that Sonic first appeared painted on buses and posters for Dreams Come True's Wonder 3 tour, beginning 07 November 1990. The official Dreams Come True website has a list of all the dates and venues, as well as a setlist for this tour: https://dreamscometrue.com/live/503

There was a second Wonder 3 tour shortly after. No idea if this one was also Sega sponsored: https://dreamscometrue.com/live/498

The site also has a post from 25 October 2011 about an interview with Masato Nakamura in Sony Magazines' Digimono Station (デジモノステーション), about the Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 Soundtrack, which had just been released on CD in Japan. Does anyone have this?

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    The intro is the most dead of ringers for the final boss and sonic to a.k.a. the death egg robot.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Why do I hear Roland drums in that video? Is that official or is someone just playing a MIDI?

6. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Someone playing a MIDI.

I also want to note this article on "Kessen wa Kinyōbi": it was created as part of a friendly competition between Masato Nakamura (the lead bassist of DCT and the composer for Sonic 1 and 2) and Chikuzen Satō (the frontman of Sing Like Talking) over who could make the best composition based off Cheryl Lynn's "Got To Be Real"; Nakamura's song added Earth, Wind & Fire's "Let's Groove" to his song. I definitely hear the influence of "Got To Be Real" in Labyrinth Zone and Kessen's bass.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

For clarification sake, what video are u referring to?

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I believe the Labyrinth and Scrap Brain links are a little too loose to say definitively that there's a link. It sounds more like the same artist writing two songs that might share some of the same instruments or style, but are otherwise completely independent of one another. Thriller vs Got The Hots comes to mind.

Unless of course there's something in the instrumentation I'm just missing that someone would like to point out to me.

9. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Are you saying this with the embedded videos in the OP in mind or the actual songs as released by DCT? Listening to the songs themselves on Spotify, I agree on "Namidato Tatakatteru" (the one that's compared to Scrap Brain), but the original instrumentation for "Kessen wa Kinyōbi", I think, might help with the Labyrinth Zone connection, knowing that "Kessen" was built off of disco tracks. Then again, I never thought of Labyrinth Zone's theme as a disco track until I saw Sonic 1 prototype footage in Sega Shinsaku Soft Video Vol. 7, what with its deeper-pitched drum samples...