Dreamcast Collection Oddity? (X360)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Irixion, Jun 28, 2013.

1. As you all know the 360 has the option to install your disc games onto the HDD. What's supposed to happen is once it sees that the disc is the game you want to play, it reads the header, and then plays the game off of the HDD. This works fine and dandy for every single 360 game I have or have ever played. However, with Dreamcast Collection, it doesn't. I can install the game, but it plays like I never installed it. Everything runs off of disc. So my first question is, has anyone managed to get this thing to run off of HDD?

The second oddity I find is that sometimes when you install the game, you get this error when the game boots up to the game selection screen:

Return Value 1
    Enumerate Content Names: Couldn't Get Device ID for ODD.

I haven't figured out the exact cause, but, it doesn't let you select a game. You can hit A or B to get rid of the prompt, move your curser and have the BG and music change, but once you select a game (for example, Sonic Adventure), it plays the sound effect, (Again, for Sonic Adventure, Sonic's "Let's get 'em!") and then just sits there.

I'm assuming the two errors are related, but has there been any work around for either, or both errors?

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    According to http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/8/p/19477/1237349.aspx#1237349 , you can run the games individually through the Games screen as long as you have the disc inserted, and it should work normally.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    XBLA games that get disc releases can not be played from the HDD.

4. Kind of defeats the purpose of installing the game. Is there a reason for this? Suppose I'll just go buy the game again separately, although the error has a pretty annoying workaround for it : /

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    From what I understand, if you were to actually install games from XBLA discs you would no longer need the disc as the 360 would think it was downloaded from the marketplace. Therefore you could just pass the disc around and everyone would be able to have it on their HDD without consequence.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    He didn't say he expected to play them without the disc inserted, though, so he might just want to have them in the HDD so they load faster and the disc doesn't make much noise, as would happen with other installed games.

7. Yeah, basically you install a game, Xbox sees that the game disc is inserted, then plays the game off of the HDD. However for Dreamcast Collections this just doesn't happen. It's as if it's not even installed, and then it throws me the error if I boot from disc. Only way around it is to go to 'My Games' on the Xbox Dashboard and select which game you want to boot and boot directly to it.