don't click here

DreamCall?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 아힝흥행, Sep 1, 2012.

1. 아힝흥행

아힝흥행

Korea/Canada
    A fan movie that is about 10 minute
    I was researching some things like the Bleem ! For the dreamcast and I saw an article that talks about something called DresmCall They announced this service back at 2000 may and the official service was supposed to start at August. Dreamcall enabled free calling between the dreamcasts and you were able to call pcs with some device and etc. And they gave out a game called Dreamdorobo As a bonus. Where one looks at the map And the other cannot And it tries to find directions.

Sites in Korean

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    DreamCall was one of a few sites optimised for the Dreamcast browser. It made use of the Dreamcast Microphone... and I think it was shut down around 2004-ish. I'm not really sure how far the project got - it was announced for Japan and there were talks about there being PC software to interact with Dreamcast owners, but I'm not sure if these things ever surfaced. My understanding is that the voice chatting technology Sega used was developed by Innomedia.

I think originally DreamCall was meant to be shipped on its own disc in Japan, but that idea fell through. But there was definitely a US version:

[​IMG]

Dream Dorobo is a game that was programmed to show off the technology. My understanding is the game was taken to various Dreamcast-related events and was due to be bundled with the DreamCall disc, but in the end, never saw a stand-alone release. It did, however, show up as part of Planet Ring.

I'm convinced most of these Dreamcast online services failed because nobody had internet connections. Certainly not ones fast enough to cope with voice chat.

3. 아힝흥행

아힝흥행

Korea/Canada
    A fan movie that is about 10 minute

Yeah but they were trying their best to make people get use of the internet, or rather, they tried to make people have internet connections. As far as I know they showed the internet starter kit as they were about to sell Dreameye. (InternetStarterKit is supposedly be 14800 Yen) It had keyboards mouse Dream Passport3 ~Urban Style~ and guide books relating to Internet connections.

Especially when they wanted to take advantage of Dreamcast Direct and started to release pretty colourfull memory cards . :v: