DOOM 32X Resurrection

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by saxman, Oct 23, 2021.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    This deserves attention. The original thread is here: DOOM 32X Resurrection (sega-16.com)

I've been following progress of getting the Jaguar DOOM source code to compile for the 32X. Lots of past discussions on that subject. I was stunned to see this result. This is what DOOM *could* have looked like on the 32X. Quite impressive I think.

Despite the comment in the original thread, I had nothing directly to do with this. I wrote the WAD conversion tool about 12 years ago, and I had used that tool to add the Jaguar levels to the 32X version of DOOM. But that's it. The rest of the credit goes elsewhere.

Download: Romhacking.net - Hacks - Doom 32X Resurrection
    Source: GitHub - viciious/d32xr: Sega 32X port of Doom

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    Yes this came up the other day and it's very impressive.

At least I think it is - Doom's probably been ported to your average garden potato at this point.

It would have been nice to see the PC levels though, even if you had to sacrifice full screen to get there. That seems to have been the original intention, judging from the prototypes we have.

3. Fadaway

Fadaway

I've been playing this a lot since it was released. It is a huge improvement.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Sorry for the bump, but I finally found the time to try this. For some reason, the sound effects work fine in Fusion, but they don't work in Gens, do you think it would be possible to fix this?

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    What version are you using? Gens r7 requires patches for DMA PWM audio. I posted patches for that some years back (on the Assembler board, IIRC). If it's a different version, you might post a bug report on the emulator main site. Old 32X emulators didn't support DMA PWM because no commercial 32X game used it. To ask homebrew to not use DMA PWM because an older emulator doesn't support it isn't going to fly. Fusion supports it, Picodrive supports it. New versions of Gens should as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Thanks for your reply.

Please don't misread me, I couldn't know the cause of this issue, I actually hoped it could be an easy fix such as altering one byte in the rom header or so, but now that you explained it, I agree with you, it would make no sense not to use such an advanced and useful technique. As a fellow programmer, please don't ever think that I would ever ask for such a thing, or even consider it.

For the record, as I said, I knew that it worked fine in Fusion, but I tried to use Gens ReRecording, because I like this hack, and I wanted to make a video of it.

Now I can see that it's not going to happen, because I don't think that your patch would be compatible with a different Gens branch, and I'm not skilled enough to personally alter its source code. Oh well.

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Apparently this now supports multiplayer using the Zero Tolerance cable:

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Why did I not know about this cable?? I would have put this support in a Sonic ROM hack a long time ago if I had known about it.

Amazing stuff.

9. Yuzu

Yuzu

This is really cool! Amazing that this has happened. Really didn’t expect to see DOOM 32X getting this level of love from the hacking community.

Would love to try network multiplayer out on hardware if I ever get the opportunity.