don't click here

Do you think a Sonic Adventure Remake is a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Snub-n0zeMunkey, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I always felt that adventure was designed to showcase the dc a bit or at least have enough of a mix of game types to feel like a fulfilling launch title even if that was never it's original plan. It's why big is there imo.

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That's the consensus as far as I've seen. I keep hearing how proud Sega were that the Dreamcast could render water, and wanted to show that off (same reason Chaos is there).

3. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Speaking of Chaos, if SEGA were to do a Sonic Adventure remake, one of the few salvageable things from Sonic Forces which I think they could re-use is its Chaos 0 model, I really like it. Up the colour saturation though, as it's a bit too faint of a blue for my liking.

4. EmerlForgotten

EmerlForgotten

Sonic Music Curator Member
    I'd advocate for more of a Sonic Adventure re-imagining rather than a remake. Lots of things in the game need to straight-up be overhauled from the ground up.

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    A new SA needs some amazing water physics simulation, something to wow people.

6. Frostav

Frostav

When you think about it a shitload of SA1's original problems derived from the insane pressure to make it The Biggest Game EVER at the time. It's kinda tragic, really. It's such a time capsule for early 3D platformers with so much extraneous fluff because people wanted a billion playable characters and hub worlds and minigames and upgrades and just a bunch of crap that all became kitsch not, what, three years later?

But hey, that extraneous bullshit got us Chao so I can't complain too much :V

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm sorry for bringing back this dead thread but I came across this new quote from Iizuka and honestly this felt like the best place to talk about it since the Frontiers thread has kind of moved on from this topic.
    upload_2022-6-19_23-18-39.jpeg

I feel a little vindicated by this quote lol. It's kind of how I always felt about a potential Adventure remake. Why waste time and effort remaking an old game when you could use those resources to make something new?

A new Adventure game is probably not in the cards right now but I'm really interested to know what Iizuka's ideas are for how to modernize the Adventure gameplay if it ever happens.

8. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I can picture a Final Fantasy VII Remake situation where it's such a drastic reimagining that it alienates the fanbase and causes them to decry it as not being a "true" remake.

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Having recently watched a Let's Play that's, let's say, brutally honest about Sonic Adventure, I think there's 100% reason to remake it. Redoing cutscenes to better convey the original vision, having a script to match, overall bringing a much more cohesive art style in a more technically sound engine, that kind of stuff. I'm not gonna say that people are right to entirely disregard the game on the grounds of its presentation, but I do think there's some serious benefit into remaking it that go beyond "make game pretty :)" that I don't think Iizuka quite realizes.

10. I still think it's sad we're stuck with the awful DX port in Steam version. Like, we kinda could have at least a proper port or whaever that's similar as possible with Dreamcast version? I don't know, something like Better SADX / Mod Loader or the same equivalent as the 2013 Mobile remaster / remakes of Sonic 1 and 2.

11. That’s what he was saying though. That there is so much he’d need to update with the game that a simple remaster with better graphics wouldn’t cut it, and that’s why it hasn’t been made.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I mean, something that had the same core design, with certain mechanic tweaks to better enforce it, would still hold up pretty well, so if he's saying it wouldn't I'd have to say I don't really agree with that at all.

13. VenomTH

VenomTH

I would love to see the Adventure games being remade purely for personal reasons because they were some of the best experiences I had playing video games. They were designed to be showcases for the Dreamcast which was discontinued over 20 years ago and I don't see the games being well-received nowadays without serious improvement. Not to mention that modern games are already badly-received.

Another question is, would it be a remake that combines Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 or separate remakes of both? Would they be 1:1 remakes that preserve all the games' flaws or something different? It's difficult to wrap my head around what a remake would mean.

14. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

If they were to remake I think they should combine SA1+2 plot into a single story.

15. It's still the most fun and the most enjoyment I ever had in a 3D platform game. I would love to see the game remade.

16. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

I always thought his "Friend to Pixels and Polygons Alike" was a statement of intent that he'd love to take on a 3D Sonic.

17. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I wonder how would this really work though? It's not like Sonic 3&Knuckles where they were designed to be one single continuous story from the start. I always got the impression that there was a time gap in between Adventure 1 and 2 so jumping straight into 2 would be a bit weird lol.

It's one more reason why a remake would never really please everyone. How do you decide what things you should change and what things are too sacred to be messed with?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  18. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

SA2 builds off the story of SA1 in multiple ways. I'd basically just have them be separate campaigns in story mode like Origins story mode.

19. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I'd only want an SA1 remake because I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Adventure 1 - though yeah, I can admit that you might as well spend resources/time creating a new experience rather than just remaking an older one, which seems to be a strategy they've used over the years for Sonic. It'd be a much better idea to just make a new game, but man what I wouldn't give.

We can dream, I suppose... He is kinda talking more about remaster as opposed to a straight up remake, but the same philosophy applies. I don't think an SA1 remake is totally off the tables. (He might be misunderstanding what people are asking for/what was asked during that interview??? Spitballing big time here, but I dunno)

20. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    As much as I want an Adventure remakes, I really can't see Sonic Team doing justice to the Adventure series right now. It won't be a "celebration" of the old titles like Crash N. Sane or Spyro were.

If they ever are going to remake these games, I want them to go full 90's and redesign the characters to resemble early Uekawa art even more. Also - voice actors. I know I'm in minority, when it comes to disliking Rogers Sonic voice, but I really don't want him near SA or SA2. Just get Drummond and Humphrey / Griffith to do shadow.