Display problems

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Hez, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

So lately my computers been doing shit like this with the display. I really don't know whats causing it (or don't want to accept what I think it is), any suggestions? It will randomly happen to random shit. The faster I scroll something, the more likely it will happen. My start bar will also randomly do this on rare occasions. Any ideas?

P.S. Sorry about the random white shit above the image, I was in a hurry

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Probably won't do much, but may want to clean the GPU fan, just in case. This computer was crashing like crazy whenever I tried to scroll or something, and it stopped doing that when the GPU fan got cleaned.

Again, probably it's something else, but may be worth a try.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I cleaned out everything. Nothing :\

4. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Does the problem change with varying resolutions? Other monitors (not likely going to help given the pattern)? Various gpu driver versions? In a different computer entirely?

I've seen sort of random issues like this before with a dying graphics card, but it tended to occur more in 3D games and occur along triangles. I'm fairly sure this is going to end up being the case of a dying gpu. Hope you can replace your card cheaply. Oh, and I really hope it isn't a laptop.

EDIT: Also, is that a screenshot? I'm not used to seeing gpu artifacts being able to have an impact on screen grabs...

5. Flygon

Flygon

If you're using a video card and your motherboard supports integrated graphics, what happens with the integrated graphics?

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Could be the video memory rather than the GPU, but then again don't count on anything I say :v:

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    It was able to let me take a screenshot of it, which I thought was weird. It also doesn't happen in ubuntu, which I have duel installed.

8. Robochao

Robochao

Did you try turning "Hardware Acceleration" down in the video card settings? I had a real a crap computer with a trashy video card and when I turned down the hardware acceleration to the bare minimum things were faster for me and I didn't see any more screen tearing or stuff like that in your photo. Just a thought.

9. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Something wrong with video memory would actually make a lot of sense considering it's a continuous clump that is glitching like that. It would also explain why the screenshot would be corrupted in the same way as the visuals.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    It randomly stopped. The weather has also changed too....so weird..