don't click here

Discotek Licenses Japanese Sonic X!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by KingOfBunnies, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Why are we getting mad over the bottle when we should be disappointed that theres almost no credits or info whatsoever for Season 3 because TMS lost them and couldn't provide Discotek the credits
    It seems a little weird to complain about but consider the fact that to this day we STILL don't know who drew the famous Dark Sonic scene or most of Season 3's cool shots, outside of knowing some of the writers and who the mechanical character designer was and you now know why I'm kinda miffed. Kinda stinks that TMS couldn't find the credits imo.

2. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Sonic fans are nothing if not anal

3. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Makes sense to me.

This is important to read and reread please.

Also, re:some posts above. There is zero reason for anyone to get snippy at each other, so let's stop doing that.

4. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    This reminds me of an interview on Gearspace.com involving, among many other things, the album Absolute Garbage and its remastering songs by the band Garbage:

5. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I think it's important to also reiterate that Discotek isn't a large scale company like Funimation/Crunchyroll or Viz Media. They're small scale, so they don't have a lot of QC people and video people. They have really good ones like Brady Hartel, but those people can only do so much and yes, things will slip through the cracks. Things have slipped through the cracks of other releases as well. Yeah, a 4Kids edit snuck into the Japanese version, but if the mistake came from wanting to use a good video source and they accidentally forgot to use a different source where it wasn't edited for that brief moment where the unedited champagne bottles were on screen, well, that's just human error. That bottle probably isn't even on screen for a minute, probably not even 30 seconds. If it were more egregious like the wrong audio track being used so the dub happens to play for a scene rather than the Japanese version, or maybe a whole scene is missing, then sure, that's more noteworthy. But a slight error being on screen for like maybe a minute? That's nothing. That's like making a big deal over a spelling error on an otherwise incredible essay that someone put a lot of hard work into.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I don't see it as a mistake or something to make excuses over in the defense of Discotek. Especially over a color. The subtitles still tell you it's champagne.

7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

They told us about the songs.

They didn't tell us about any 4kids censorship being present.

Also, people in this thread mourned the exclusion of the original songs, but understood that it was beyond Discotek's control. The inclusion of 4kids' edit wasn't.

People are "losing their minds" over a shoddy edit that didn't have to be included.

8. Chimes

Chimes

Dude you're pearl clutching over... a bottle being orange.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I didn't even take any sides. I'm just stating facts. The songs were beyond Discotek's control, this wasn't. Comparing the two cases doesn't work.

Like I said above, I see merits to both stances.

If anything, it's the people trying to dismiss any complaints that seem to be the ones losing their shit here, or at least being passive-aggressive.

10. Chimes

Chimes

Idk I would understand it if there was a scene accidentally left out, but since it's just orange bottles its just pearl clutching to go "this is inexcusable. they lied about it being japanese. how could they ever do this" even though it could just be reprinted with fixes to these small issues???

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The point is that it was advertised it was the Japanese original, so people didn't expect any US censorship.

And only I brought up that part when someone basically argued "This was expected duh, fans should have had no reason to assume 4kids' edits wouldn't be there"

No it wasn't expected.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

Wait, what original songs are missing? I didn't expect this.

13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

The Off Course songs are not in there. They haven't been in since their initial airing and the Japanese DVDs and all subsequent airings don't have them. It's something out of Discotek's control and lies solely on TMS.

14. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Blue Spikeball is overreacting. That said, he does have a little bit of a point. It is odd for something advertised as the Japanese version to leave in a dub edit, even if it is an isolated incident.

I don't think it's a huge deal though, as said earlier in the thread there was a shit ton of sources pulled from for this so it's not unreasonable that something slipped through the cracks. Plus it's literally just a discolored bottle so it's not show ruining or something.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So... can someone who actually has the set (mine will be trapped until Gunbuster ships it seems), tell me about the actual sub translation?

I really don't care that much about one minor dub edit that slipped through. Overall video quality, audio quality consistency, and most importantly, quality of the final subtitle translation are what matter most to me.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Oh, I'm not outraged at Discotek or anything.

If people are getting that impression from my posts specifically because I'm calling the edits shoddy, well...

I was referring to 4kids' edits, not Discotek's. And I was specifically referring to how 4kids just pasted the orange drink over the wine glass, overlapping the highlights on them:
    upload_2023-4-16_22-6-57.png

Hence me calling it shoddy in a matter-of-fact manner, not in an "angry nerd" manner. A proper edit would have kept the highlights over the orange juice.

So yeah, I'm not overreacting over some bottles' colors.

I'm overreacting over some highlights. :colbert:

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

You can do what I did and order something else and they'll ship Sonic X with that. ;)

The sub translation seems good. My thing is, it's the Hulu translation and with episode 1, that threw me off because when TMS uploaded that episode to their Youtube channel a few years back with a new translation, I actually prefer that translation more as it sounds a little less stilted in some areas than the Hulu ones. However, you're still getting good subtitles with this release.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I believe there were supposed to be further corrections beyond the original Hulu, TL, if I recall.

And Diskotek is known to do that, BTW. I've seen numerous corrections in their works over the years... not that I had major issues with the Hulu TL, but still.

19. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Well, I'm not familiar with the Hulu TL. Honestly, it's good, it's just since I watched the first episode on TMS' channel with the new translation, there's things that stick out to me as sounding more natural than in the Hulu/Discotek subtitles. One example is that when Chris asks Sonic if he can talk at the end of the episode, the Discotek subtitles has Sonic reply "Naturally" but on Youtube it's "Of course I can?" which I feel flows better. There's also some other lines that I feel work better earlier in the episode too, but that's one that sticks out to me.

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The Hulu subs were in all caps IIRC. How about the Discotek subs?