Design Sonic Stuff with Metal

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by saxman, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    This IS Sonic related... just read a bit.

My baby:

[​IMG]

Now I know you're asking me right now, "Saxman, what is this part you have here??" Well thank you for asking. This is... okay honestly, I don't know what the hell it is! I was asked to make it as a favor for someone who works on race bikes, and so I did. There's about 8 hours of labor involved in this piece because of the complexity of it (it might not look complex, but consider I had to figure out all the radiuses and tangents and get them as close as possible to the part I was trying to copy.)

Anyway, I'm proud of this because of how much effort it required of me. I laid it down on my paper where I had outlined the original part, and it is VERY close. It's damn near perfect! I was blown away.

Now you're asking me, "Oh great freakin' one, what the crap does this have to do with Sonic??" I thank you for asking me yet another brilliant question. I got to thinking, I could use a little extra money since I'm still in the process of finding a full-time job, and since I enjoy machining parts on the mill, I wondered about the possibility of designing Sonic-related stuff and selling them. How would you all feel about that? The kind of stuff I was thinking of was maybe keychains, or just medalians of some sort. This stuff would definitely be metal (I don't do wood or plastic or anything else.) I am not sure what to create, but I can create many shapes with the tools I have, and I can even write text and draw pictures on the metal.

If anyone thinks this is an interesting idea, give me some ideas of things I can create that you might be willing to buy. I'm particularly interested in copying designs. For example, if there's a logo or graphic of Sonic that you'd like to see gnawed out, suggest it!

I won't do just anything though -- it has to be something a fair number of people would want. So no exclusive stuff like "oh Saxman, I want something with Barbie on it because I like Barbie, tee hee." Whoever says that will die of a brutal ass-whipping. I'm seriously. Don't say that. You'll be messing with dark forces. I know things. Don't try me.

So... opinions?

EDIT: I should mention a few things. Anything I make will be flat (aka no cubes or spheres or any large 3D shapes.) Anything I make will be pure metal without any paint. Chrome isn't a realistic option because I would have to produce about a 100 items (which I'm not expecting to do) to have anyone agree to coat this stuff, and it would obviously drive up the price. I also don't have costs figured out right now -- depends on the size of the items I make, and on what kind of metal I produce them on. Labor will likely NOT be factored into the cost because the only way stuff like this ever sells is to sell it as a commodity.

2. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    That's awesome, and if I weren't so tight on money, I'd probably get something from you. I can't, however, but I would like to make a suggestion that may interest other people, since it's what I would have liked to get: The Sonic & Knuckles logo.

3. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

stubborn and sparkly Oldbie
    hell (chicago (same difference))
    photography, graphic design, being gay
    Perhaps you could make simple things like Rings or ... uh, I dunno... like item TV front views? :v:

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    It's be expensive, but...

Machine-cut multiple parts- a left face, a right face, a chest, etc.

Assemble them into an Epic Mickey-style steampunk-zombie-thing Sonic.

I think people would buy it.

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    How about the Sonic Team and Sonic Retro logos? Those would work great for medallions/keychains.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd love some sort of Egg-o-matic design, but feel free to ignore me because I haven't got any money yet.

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

turntablist, dinosaur goddess Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I would say that if that took you 8 hours, the amount of labor involved would likely not make it worth it from a monetary standpoint. I would pay maybe $20-40 CDN at absolute most for a small Sonic thing and only pay that much because it would be supporting you and the awesome things you've done, but if it's going to take that long you'd only make $2.40 an hour on it if it took 8 hours and I gave you $20.

Just a theory. Not saying I wouldn't buy one just saying think about that.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=343974:date=Aug 25 2009, 04:06 PM:name=Lostgame)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lostgame @ Aug 25 2009, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343974">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would say that if that took you 8 hours, the amount of labor involved would likely not make it worth it from a monetary standpoint. I would pay maybe $20-40 CDN at absolute most for a small Sonic thing and only pay that much because it would be supporting you and the awesome things you've done, but if it's going to take that long you'd only make $2.40 an hour on it if it took 8 hours and I gave you $20.

Just a theory. Not saying I wouldn't buy one just saying think about that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You create the part once, and it's in the computer. That's the 8 hours of labor. The actual cutting is the easy part. I'd lose money on it at first, but over time if I sell enough, I'd make a profit. That's the idea I have in my head.

I'm looking at some of the ideas, and they seem interesting. My favorites so far are the SK logo and Sonic Retro logos. How many people would be intersted in buying either of these if I designed them on the mill and gnawed them out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I'm figuring up some possible cost figures here. I'm thinking one 3" x 3" x 1/4" piece (the size of a large keychain) would cost about $5 (excluding shipping, which I may charge $9 to cover most local costs.) So a large keychain in all for U.S. residents may cost $14.

EDIT: Here's an example of something I can do:

[​IMG]

It's a prototype from several years ago. The final product turned out better. This is a pretty simple design. Designing the logos I proposed above would require more effort. I also like making use of different depths when designing stuff, so the Sonic stuff would also be a bit more intrigate.

9. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Here's what I had in mind:

[​IMG]
    A simple 2-color version to indicate the two layers that would be used. The brighter grey indicates the more elevated layer

[​IMG]
    And here's a rough idea of what it could look like, with a metal texture added. I really wish I had a little money to spare for that; I've always loved the S&K logo and I love unpainted silver-colored metal.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    How much would it cost to turn that S&K logo into a belt buckle? Also, it'd be killer if you made a Genesis controller in the form of a belt buckle. They always have Nintendo or Atari ones but never any SEGA ones.

11. Insalubrious

Insalubrious

The Writing Writer Member
    I would be all over the Sonic & Knuckles logo. What I've seen here looks awesome, and I really hope this goes through.

12. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    How about an old-fashioned starpost? That'd be a pretty cool and subtle key chain.

[​IMG]

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I would absolutely buy a metal Sonic and Knuckles pendant.

14. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I'd like to see a Crabmeat badge.

15. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    That sonic and knuckles badge looks pretty chic. If it weren't absurdly expensive and was professionally produced, I'd likely pick one up.

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=345338:date=Aug 30 2009, 12:01 AM:name=Trunks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trunks @ Aug 30 2009, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345338">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sonic and knuckles badge looks pretty chic. If it weren't absurdly expensive and was professionally produced, I'd likely pick one up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    $5 isn't absurdly expensive o_O I'm taking a loss on labor here.

17. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    What metals do you have available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.