don't click here

Departure pre-announcement

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    AFAIK, trial members are not a standard feature of IPB 2.0 =P

2. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    I think Trial Members can be done in nearly any forum, using the regular "change-rank-when-you-reach-X-posts" system. The first rank is "Trial Member", at 30 posts they "upgrade" to "Pending Approval", and the Member/Tech Member/Oldbie ranks are special no-auto-upgrades ranks.

3. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Yes, but it doesn't automatically tell you how many posts you have left =P

4. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    There is one way - enable viewing of post counts for trial members. Then, you can see how far you've got to go until you hit the 30 post limit ;)

Is it possible to only enable viewing of post counts for a certain group, and not others (like we currently have on this board) without complex mods? You'd want trial members to see how many posts they have used up, and other members to see this information - but you would not want trial members to see other member groups post counts.

5. Skaarg

Skaarg

Well Simon. I must say that I will miss you and that I greatly appreciate all you've done for this great community. Enjoy life, take a vacation someplace or something. =P

My vote for the new forums is that this place should be kept untouched by new people on the new forum so that it should be a read only forum. I say we bring back the post count emeralds though. =P

6. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I will say this - I'll be happy to take suggestions and ideas, but my decisions on administration issues will be final, as Simon's were before me. Anything else just wouldn't be in the spirit of what this forum has stood for.

7. Shade

Shade

Now that's what I like to hear. My one wish was that the spirit and atmosphere of this place would remain unscathed through this. Makes me even more glad that LocalH is running the show. Amen.

8. LocalH

LocalH

I will also say this - it's inevitable that the forum will go in a somewhat different direction with me as head, simply because I'm not Simon and I can't know that the decisions I make would be the ones he would make. I don't really care about that, however, as it's to be expected. I won't be turning the place upside down or anything, but there will undoubtedly be slight changes outside of the name.

Any changes I make, however, will be with the ultimate goal of making this place better. If I make a change and then later determine that it was more detrimental than beneficial, then I'll have no problems binning that particular change.

9. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    Of course it will be different, but I believe under your head it won't be in a bad direction at all. That being said, you still could fuck up. As long as you would admit them and fix them, it will be great having you as headmaster.

10. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Adios Simon.

Best of luck in the future.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Haven't you been doing that anyway? The way I see it, the way you run things now should be how you run them without Simon, minus the part where you look to Simon for approval. It seemed Simon trusted your judgement enough to make your own decisions anyway, and I support that trust -- you'll make a good admin for this place. ;)

...as long as it doesn't become Sonic Classic. =P

12. LocalH

LocalH

Pretty much, yeah.

And no, it's not going to turn into SClassic.

13. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Heh, it better not. I fled S2Beta's ezboard right before that happened for some reason...

I miss I liek to scan my face man.

Anyway, I hope the Trial Member system survives any changes that go on.

14. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Simon Wai.

NEVER FORGET.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Don't worry, guys, LocalH will find him in some IRC chat room in about three years and he'll come back.

16. Lol.

Anyway, I'll miss Simon. As much as it seems like I haven't known this place long, I've actually been lurking since 2001(Or 2000, around that time), and only now thought I was mature enough to sign up to the forums.

17. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    This is awkward for me, I've known of you for GOD knows how long, before I joined the community, even. And I've only really known you here for what, four months? I do, however, know LocalH a bit better, and I feel confident the site and boards will thrive.

Good luck and god speed, mi amigo.

Regarding the forums: It is a double-edged sword, indeed. On one hand, it is difficult to maintain because of its extensive modifications. On the other, the uniquity of the board is pretty intense, and to try to re-create it would be DAMN hard.

18. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    As a long time member, mostly lurker, I just want to say that I truly will miss having Simon around. You've done wonders for the community, and you've given us a place to allow us to share our thoughts and findings and sometimes sheer stupidity, and for that, I thank you!!

:worship: Long live Simon Wai!!! :worship:

19. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    Exactly—because of that, anyone who really wanted to find him could have and would have already, so the picture wouldn't make any big difference. Besides, I think I speak for us all when I say that I want to get at least one look at the man that made the community, even if it is upon his departure. He's a faceless legend!

20. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    And once we have his face we can poorly edit a cactus and basketballs onto the picture arranged such that it resembles a penis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.