don't click here

Demons of Asteborg (homebrew)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Fadaway, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Fadaway

Fadaway

I wasn't sure whether to post this in general gaming or here. Considering Paprium has a dedicated thread here, as well as DOOM Resurrection 32X, then sure, why not? Seems like a reasonable place to put it. It can be moved if it's in the wrong forum. Also, I did look and didn't see any other threads about this, but if there are, please close & link or whatever.

I think Demons of Asteborg is pretty great. It's somewhat a Metroidvania that definitely seems like it takes a lot of cues from Symphony of the Night. But, it feels wholly new and different, too. There is a healthy dose of Ghouls 'n Ghosts thrown in, too.

There are some neat puzzles as well. This is what Stormlord probably should have been, topless faeries not withstanding.

Besides responsive gameplay and pretty good levels, I think what stands out the most to me are the graphics/sprite animation and the music. The BGM is catchy. Definitely inspired stuff.

The game isn't super easy either. The first boss is a trip.

I have it uploaded on my Genesis Mini right now but I plan on getting a cartridge, too, eventually.

This doesn't feel like homebrew thankfully. I did opt to modify the controls, with jump changed to C, attack being B, and the special items allocated to A, but otherwise, it is super fluid. It isn't perfect; I do think sometimes it gets a bit confusing what you can vs. what you can't stand on because multiple platforms look alike and weirdly not all have collision. That was a bit strange for me at first but once I got into it, this game really stood out.

2. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    It always astounds me how well modern developers are able to use the Mega Drive's color palettes. The color here looks great, very well-chosen. Always down for some good Ghosts 'n Goblins-esque gameplay too. Gotta say tho, that "identical platforms lacking consistent collision" thing is a huge pet peeve of mine, especially because it's often done purposefully and all it does is take confidence out of my platforming and hamper the gamefeel. Little stuff aside, this def looks like one of the better modern homebrews, at least in the art design.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  3. Fadaway

Fadaway

Agreed. Thankfully, it is pretty minimal in the game, which is otherwise great.