Dee Dee Planet

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Dee Dee Planet is a bizarre little note in Dreamcast history; the online-centered game was produced in Japan, but after its first pressing, a networking bug was found and copies were recalled and destroyed. When digging through one of the press kits I received recently, I realized there were several HQ screenshots of the game included. Exciting! However, it's been a bitch to find any actual info on the game. I did some snooping around and got some Japanese information on the game. The problem is that my Japanese reading is...not that great, and I'd love to have some help in figuring out what exactly this game was about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I can't read Japanese, but, for what it's worth, this was in the infamous <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2008/09/09/wtf-a-room-full-of-segas-prototypes/" target="_blank">SEGA room...</a>

"Recalled" implies the game was shipped to distributors before being canned. If so, might at least a few copies survive?

3. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This game looks fucking brilliant. And not just visually, either! A massively multiplayer Worms clone with robot elephants and collectible pills/mushrooms would've been right up my alley. Very nice find, woman. I'll start pestering acquaintances for translations if no one heeds the call in the next week or so.

In fact, if you actually manage to find a translator, I've got a <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/SparksTH/CK2story.gif" target="_blank">project</a> for him that's in dire need of attention.

4. Insalubrious

Insalubrious

The Writing Writer Member
    I'm at work right now, but I can probably give it a shot when I get home. The text doesn't seem too difficult, though are several words I don't recognize, so it'd be nice if someone else could make sure I don't screw anything up too badly (or maybe head the translation themselves). Either way, I'll try to help.

<!--quoteo(post=478009:date=Jul 12 2010, 12:11 AM:name=Ritz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ritz @ Jul 12 2010, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=478009">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fact, if you actually manage to find a translator, I've got a <a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/SparksTH/CK2story.gif" target="_blank">project</a> for him that's in dire need of attention.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And, not to divert too much from the topic, I can give you a rough translation, if that's what you're looking for, Ritz. Again, this might be prone to error, since I'm at work and only put about two minutes of thought into it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Master! [Could be 'Sir', though the word used specifically implies the person he's talking to is a young male of higher status than the speaker.] Before you head out again, please listen to what this Puruncho [I'm not entirely sure what this means. It could be a name, though the way it's being referred to sounds strange to me.] has to say. I'm sure you'll find it helpful!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Better than what Google Translate gave me, certainly.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Patchama ! Technical Information Center Hazama Tei to do this story before the departure time Puruncho scallops . Oh for sure something will be useful for something Oh surely help !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Also, プルンチョ is the speaker's name: Prunchau, according to the US version. He's valet of the main character (Sir Tongara de Pepperouchau III, the knight on the left), so referring to him as a younger male of higher ranking is consistent with game lore.

Also, Clockwork Knight 2 had cutscenes? Aside from the pre-rendered videos here and there, I could've sworn it was pretty barebones.

6. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    I've heard of this game before, but I never knew that it was actually released to the public and recalled.

This makes me wonder how long it was around in the public, if anyone still has a copy of it somewhere, or if anyone decided to backup the game before they gave it back.

7. Insalubrious

Insalubrious

I didn't have as much time to look at this today as I thought, but I've got some quick transcriptions and a couple translations. Like I said, don't put too much stock into this, as I'm still learning, but hopefully it'll be helpful.

EDIT: It looks like the forum is choking on the Japanese for whatever reason.
    EDIT 2: See my next post.

8. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    It's the spiritual sequel to Chu Chu Rocket, in case anyone missed that, although I don't believe it was developed by Sonic Team.

9. Insalubrious

Insalubrious

I finished up the translations. Since the forum made short work of the Japanese transcriptions, I moved it all <a href="http://pastebin.com/eCdYrQ8q" target="_blank">here</a>.

As a quick note, I tried to keep the text as close to the original as possible without sounding like a machine translation, but there wasn't much context, so I ended up with a couple odd situations like on the second-to-last screen where I almost couldn't figure out how to render it in English.

Hopefully this is helpful. :)

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    <!--quoteo(post=478178:date=Jul 12 2010, 09:20 AM:name=Shadow Hog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shadow Hog @ Jul 12 2010, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=478178">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, Clockwork Knight 2 had cutscenes? Aside from the pre-rendered videos here and there, I could've sworn it was pretty barebones.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The original had them, too. I've only known about it for a few months now (Or however long it's been since Peter O'Hanlon's fansite went up and vanished in short order), but it explains why the games had a whole pantheon of characters that served no purpose outside of cutscenes and dancing around as markers on the level maps, right? What's more interesting is that Barobaro and Silver can speak and that Oneon is a complete homosexual.

Whoops, hijacking! I'll start a thread for this when the time comes.