don't click here

(DC) Sonic Adventure Prototype (1998-10-16)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, May 21, 2013.

1. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Okay, you're my hero. Where did you get them from?

2. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I'm almost certain it's from a Sale Channel. I remember seeing a vid or something on Cult or somewhere. It might be on youtube somewhere.

EDIT: Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgsyszPHaa8[/youtube]

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hmm Actually Sonic GDK will not be ideal to run the map, I think that it would better suited to play in Generation engine or Sonic adventure as a mod,
    ramps for example wont launch sonic in GDK due to the nature of how they are designed ,GDK requires specific geometry situations.
    I don't think it is worth a release. If anyone wants it, than I'll post. if there are no requests than that will be that.

I got them from DaGuAr who took a few from the Chao levels, and the rest he cropped from a screenshot.

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I plan on making the level for Generations so if you'd like to send me the stage files in 3ds max or something similar I can get on that.

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Its going to be a pain cleaning up the level's texture IDs and multi sub object. may be better to wait till Main Memory implements some kind of material commencement feature for duplicated materials for his level editor. unless you have some kind of max script that can do that. Let me Ask DaGuAr if its ok to distro the raw models

6. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    I think it'd be pretty cool to see in GDK. If parts are unplayable like you've said though, I guess if it requires work you'd rather not do then don't do it.

7. MainJp

MainJp

Tx
    This is amazing, I've waited years for this.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'm making a new topic to share our findings as a community. the models will be uploaded there.

yeah I don't have the time to switch projects right now, have so much to do with Xtreme as it is. otherwise I would be re-creating textures and fixing up the model for GDK compatibility.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks to Orangefox for releasing Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 Betas.
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31425&st=0

Hopefully this will be the community Hub for sharing findings, (files, music, and other crap) from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 Beta. No Hording allowed!

I'm going to start by releasing this model ripped by DaGuAr. (Its the Beta Windy Valley stage) He replaced many of the textures with temporary textures, and also cropped some out of the following screenshot.
    [​IMG]

I'm posting this because I hope as a community we can restore the level to its former glory, so that it could be used in Mods, fangames, or just to look at for hours.
    So please enjoy, and update us with any modifications or restoration work done.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r9un6o2920e4icu/Windy_Valley_Beta_Rip_by_DaGuAr.rar
    Please note: that the level needs a lot of work as is. right now it has over 700 duplicated materials. ( hopefully Main Memory can come up with something to fix the issue with his exporter)
    I may also be able to get a max script to help with the duplicate material clean up, although no guarantee.
    (you may also note that the texture names don't match, as DaGuAr used a random pvm from the game)

when looking at the file on a hex editor, according to the STG02.bin, the file where the geometry is stored, the texture names should be something more like this:
    tatu60
    tatu61
    tatu62
    tatu50
    s_wt26
    s_w57
    s_wt27
    s_w58
    s_m02
    noise45
    w_tachikimiki2
    w_kimiki
    w_tachikiha
    w_tachikiha1
    s_w27
    s_m79
    o_wm01
    s_wt0
    w_kusa1
    w_wv14
    s_m37
    o_wm20
    s_w14
    s_m41
    ami02
    s_m28
    s_g23
    s_w51
    s_wt23
    s_w0
    s_wt4
    s_w12
    s_g13
    s_g24
    s_w59
    s_w56
    s_w3
    s_wt24
    s_wt8
    s_m31
    s_m49
    s_m45
    iwa_l

P.S.
    If anyone else has any files they would like to share here, than please by all means do so and I'll try to update this first post with links.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other files shared section:

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    We now have an official hacking topic. http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=31432

edit:
    (Looks like someone combined my new topic with this one the next day) just in case the above link confuses anyone.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I checked the LandTable list at 160648 in 1st_read.bin, the pointer for part 2 is null.
    Level geometry is in the STG bins, as indicated by SCHG:Sonic Adventure/Level Data Locations.

Looking at the game's stage loading routine, Hot Shelter has no data, Egg Walker has no data, E-101 has no data, The Past is missing entirely (Twinkle Circuit occupies its level slot), and Sky Chase has only one level slot.

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Oh, I didn't know they also included models for the level's objects. Wiki didn't seem to say that out right, just for level map models.

Also I'm not having any real luck finding these textures. I'm currently isolating what can be found already in this version of the game and there aren't any level specific textures anywhere. This doesn't mean that these are the correct textures that the game is referencing, it just means that we can find them in some shape or form somewhere else in another file. I haven't checked the final NTSC-J yet.

This is what I have so far (this is below the strings for the object debugger, I haven't done the top yet but it's probably the same deal):

Note that some of these might actually exist elsewhere under a different name for a different level. For example, I noticed that this level references s_w** textures which I believe are for water.

13. Hukos

Hukos

I wonder if the Sky Dragon is in this proto :v:

Anyway, fantastic job Retro. I hope you pull some really cool stuff out of this proto that hasn't been discovered yet.

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    DaGuAr should really join retro someday...

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    SHOOTING.bin references him. I think if I remember correctly the object name in the game is "BOSS". This version also includes textures for SHOOTING0/1/2, so he's definitely in there. :)

EDIT: I can't find strings in 1ST_READ.BIN for the typical SA1 debugging things. But some of them are there.

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah I just told him that actually, lol

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    If you find him make sure to PM me the model so that I can post it over on the Hacking and restoration topic to keep everything in one place.

18. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I've told him a few times! His knowledge really fits this site

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'm attempting to talk him into it now, I hope if he joins a Mod can grant instant membership. he has 2 references so it should help.

Edit:
    Well he has joined... Hey Mod! XD full member status now ! (Name: DaGuAr) Who am I kidding, I don't have any pull in the community, probably wont work.
    I guess back on topic..... Come on guys,,, post some stuff we can Archive here! lets do this !

20. ChaosRinger

ChaosRinger

Sonic The Hedgehog and The Holy Rings
    In terms of music, I noticed a little something.
    Speed Highway's "Right!" voice clip seems slightly quieter, and the track raises it's volume around 54 seconds in.
    Since I'm not the tech guy of this party, I can't get into the rom myself, but keep going on with this, I'm eager to see what you guys can find!