D-Series: Black & Blue / Sonic 1: RSI

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by WiteoutKing, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Don't sweat it, nothing in this will be permanent until the day it gets released, and that's a long ways off I imagine. And I can guarantee there will be open slots =P

2. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Well, began some preliminary work on 16-bitting the simplest level I could. Aaaaand... instead of simply 16-bitting it, I decided to try working with older sprites.

I think it's going well so far

Because MSPaint likes to play games, the pallette of the things I was transferring changed to that of Bridge Zone. I lol'd and noticed it looked more than fitting, so I left it there. If it turns out looking weird I'll replace it with actual 16-bit versions of the tiles (49 unique tiles in Bridge Zone Act 3)

EDIT: Sidenote, I'm damn impressed with how they did background tiles. Instead of making clunky "tile chunks" that fit together only in a specific way (see GHZ tiles, for instance) they instead made all the tiles individual, and put stuff right up to the edge. On the individual tile it looks a bit messy, but when it's put against the plain background it looks like it's using up more of the background than it is. Interesting tactic.

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HivePal 2.0
    Do you know my ROM hack is called South Island Adventure? It may be a fairly old hack, but it's still an ongoing project.

4. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Shit, that's right. Hurhurrr. I had that in mind when I was putting together a name, but I thought it was called something different *editeditedit*

EDIT: In fact, I'm doubly an idiot for it, because I've been watching that particular hack for some time. Oof. Thanks for cluing me in to that.

5. Bridge looks very nice. Though, at one point or another, turn the checkers 90 degrees to make it look more like the original bridge.

6. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Yeah, I figure if nothing else I'll rotate the checkers, maybe to the cross-hatch design that's in the original Bridge Zone.

And GHZ isn't gonna be the only one in this zone either, whee.

EDIT: I'll make three versions of it and see what people like best:

1. Bridge Zone Act 3 made from older tiles and some custom.
    2. Bridge Zone Act 3 made from resolution doubling (I've done some manual doubling before)
    3. Bridge Zone Act 3 made from older tiles then re-edited for style.

7. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Happy June 23rd, everyone!

In celebration of things, stuff, and whatnots, my bucket is leaking. lol

Before
    After-ing

My thoughts on it: Okay, so the foreground stuff is size-fixed. The amount of detail is still lacking though (not so noticeable on the grass, EXTREMELY noticeable on the bridge). Next week I'm going to do some detail work on that so it looks cleaner.

Also, instead of just doing the same thing with the background I think I'm going to take a hand at making a new background, only because Gen games never use a BG that plain.

EDIT: I fucking love how the water came out though.

8. Gibbo

Gibbo

Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991. Member
    Ellesmere Port, UK
    Learning how to use Game Maker
    I like the Resolution Doubling, I think you should stick with that for Bridge Zone. The Bridge does need Improving though and there's half a Life Icon sticking out.

9. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    The Extra Life monitor is there because that part of it is on top of a "background" tile that I had yet to replace.

Which brings me to my next item of somethings. Making an appropriate background for Bridge Zone. The Genesis games always had rather "active" backgrounds, whereas this... doesn't. I figure I'm going to have to make some kind of foggy river with mountains off in the distance. I'm not too good at original sprites, but I guess we'll see how that goes.

edit: Brainstorming in #s2b yielded the following:

Code (Text):
    1. <Wite> I think in the RPG, similar to in Kingdom of Loathing, having a complete "outfit" gets you bonuses
    2. <Wite> The one I'm working with, the bonus is that the negative effects of each equipment piece is nullified
    3. <Wite> The individual outfit I'm working with*
    4. <paul> that sounds like it could be overly powerful
    5. <Wite> It could be, potentially
    6. <Wite> One I'm lolling over, is a different one
    7. <Wite> A bunch of stuff together
    8. <Wite> Doesn't have any special outfit unless you have Goggles
    9. <Wite> which, on their own do nothing =P
    10. <Wite> The goggles, that is
    11. <paul> DO THAT please
    12. <Wite> I am =P
    13. <Wite> lol there we go
    14. <Wite> Without the goggles, the net stat boost is +09
    15. <Wite> And none of the individual pieces cause negative
    16. <Wite> With the goggles, the net boost is +19 =P
    17. <Wite> That'll be funny to see when people get it
    18. <Quickman> So the goggles do nothing?
    19. <Wite> Exactly =P
    20. <Wite> At least, on their own;P
    21. <Wite> I think there will be three outfits in Chapter 1
    22. <Wite> and they're actually quite diverse too
    23. <Wite> One is balanced
    24. <Wite> One is ATK/DEF focues
    25. <Wite> One is EPW/RES focused
    26. <Wite> it might also slightly affect the appearance on the battle screen too

10. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Bumping for minor shit and some public opinion moments again.

Outfit stuff is looking pretty damn interesting (some are quite funny too). I may leak some later, but for now it'll stay an inside thing.

Blue Blur, the minigame, is still undergoing that crazy hoopdy "idea phase", but I can say that fans of Mega Man will probably like it.

I think the main theme to Black & Blue will be a derivative of "Sonic 3 Credits", the theme that is supposedly an edit in the style of "Stranger in Moscow". Now, this is where I have to ask you guys for stuff. Anyone with experience in MIDI/MP3/OGG/whatever, I'm looking for a Title Screen variant on the theme, and probably a menu variant or two. Anyone out there wanna take a shot at it?

Random thought: You think levels should cap at 99, 100, 255, or 999? I refuse to go beyond 1000, at that point it's just silly.

It bugs me, I want to talk a ton about all sorts of stuff for later on that I've come up with, but doing so kills the surprise of it, and I won't see as much of people having a fresh, enjoyable time with it if they already know what's coming. Agh.

11. Rosiero

Rosiero

Oldbie
    I could give it a try, I did something similar a few weeks ago for my game.

12. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Some more minor updates:

Should I be able to implement it properly, I want to include various battle mode types (similar to the ability to choose in FF7 between ATB, or Full-Live), the most unusual of which would be "Shadow Style". Shadow Style is basically what it sounds like, instead of entering a regulated battle, you simply attack and damage is done. The upshot? It keeps things running a LOT smoother. The downside? Enemies that are normally one-shot kills now may take quite a bit more. You may actually prefer to slow down so you can level up.

Based on the recent randomish S3 Credits thing I'm pretty much sold on having that be the basis for the "main theme" of Black & Blue.

I've been working out some ideas for enemy and boss battles and their attacks and such. I can only say that you should be surprised (and frightened, lol) of what you'll wind up against early on.

And for the important bit, I'm likely going to give the website a tune-up (including an actual news script, holy crap) to keep you guys updated on the minor and major stuff.

13. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

Worcester, MA
    Bumping for public opinion.

Previously I had tossed around the idea of splitting the game into seven parts, with a password system running through them. It was kind of mixedly-reviewed, and it never really got anywhere.

Now, I'm thinking of something similar and I think I'm going to do it.

Instead of one game being split into seven parts, it'll be seven indvidual games. You know that whole "Episode Blah' thing? Something like that. What this does is quite a bit of stuff.

1. It keeps the filesize from literally exploding. This is still a concern of mine. As completely separate entities, this keeps the size down, as well as allowing you to... well, NOT NEED to have the whole thing there at once.
    2. Password stuff will still work. This makes things simple&reg;.
    3. Gives me a hell of a lot more time to put the next Episode together.

The one problem I see is backtracking. Going to old areas. I'm going to look into this and we'll see where it goes.

But again, I wanna know what you guys think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.