don't click here

CVG #115 - Sonic 1 images not scanned before!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Rlan, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Scanned from a magazine I recently got. More weird signs in Scrap Brain, More flying saucers in Marble Zone, The "PRESS START" title screen, a weird Special Stage design [I believe], wierd physics in Star Light [I don't think Sonic's turned correctly on that slope, plus the loop], and a dead end in Scrap Brain, and Sonic jumping at the score screen.

Enjoy :)

PS. SoST isn't being updated anymore, I have no time for it, so love it for what it is :(

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Repost, in case someone isn't into scum:

Like I said, pure hotness. HOT HOT HOT.

Also, found a Sonic 1 preview in Mean Machines #8 [link]. Has Press Start Button and SYZ backgrounds.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wait, release on the Amiga and C64?! Shouldn't information like that have been more widespread?

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    US Gold only bought the rights to it, but it's interesting news nonetheless.

5. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Eesh, that's a bit of an exaggeration there (unless SEGA was really thinking about it at one time) :P

They also talk about what sounds like the "S" screen as well. They mention it in way though that Sonic gets both the super shoes and a shield; where as it gives you super shoes and makes you temporarily invincible on Sonic CD.

What I find most facinating is the images for SYZ, deffinately new bits never before seen.

6. Robjoe

Robjoe

Excellent, excellent! I personally really enjoy the Sparkling Zone shots, they're about the highest quality I've seen yet. Also, I'm absolutely positive those bits of Special Stage layout aren't used in the final.

Something gives me the feeling they weren't being entirely truthful there. =P

Actually, when they said shield in the article, they said it was temporary, so I'm thinking it could be the invincibility. Either way, that would explain the existence of the S monitor, given that Super Sonic wasn't yet conceived.

7. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Nice. Specially that SYZ pic in the Rlan scans, it's priceless. Are there japanese characters in the background, or I'm just seeing things?

8. Truly amazing.

9. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    Wow, this is some awesome stuff. It sure is fun to look back on old game magazines to see all the misinformation/exaggerations.

On a completely unrelated note, Chun-Li looks absolutely hideous on that cover.

10. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Actually it's not a terribly big leap from "invincibility+super sneakers" to "Super Sonic." I would say that the latter is simply an expansion on the former, though I'm probably just stating the obvious here.

11. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    I've never understood why they use screen shots from debug mode. Why show something not in normal gameplay? Especially at pre-Sonic 1. People had to be thinking, what the hell... it looks like Sonic is a ring... uhhh

12. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    fantastic shots! well done Rlan :worship:

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Hyper Sonic?

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    "Hypersonic", most likely in the sense of much, much faster than the speed of sound.

15. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Two things can be surmised about the first post.

1) Those new screens are, as usual, sex. Actually, looking over the "Sparkling Zone" shots, I've noticed the buildings are a heckuva lot closer to you than in the final, and, personally, I think the level would benefit from that kind of background. I guess it's just me. Green Hill and Marble are par for the course, really, although I, too, am a little curious as to how screenshots featuring Sonic the Ring via debug mode got into there. I guess PR was somewhat asleep on the job.

2) Chun-Li is still awesome (but I still prefer Cammy's design, and I can't really play well with either for beans).

That's about all.

16. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy

17. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Yeah, but still, they don't seem like magazine preview material to me. They should be showing the game, not the goof around later on for kicks.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It's not like it's the first time we have seen this.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Note that the upper left corner of that pic is half covered by another one, as if they wanted to hide the debug numbers. So they probably knew what they were doing.

20. Note how a lot of the other shots have the counters in the upper-left corner either partially or completely cut out, so that probably doesn't have much to do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.