don't click here

Crazy Taxi: City Rush (iOS/Android)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em7kky1xaFc
    More details.
    Congrats, you're guinea pigs!

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's filled with microtransactions and has waiting times. Fuck off SEGA/10.

Gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuywFZpvCpQ

3. Jason

Jason

Honestly, it looks like Temple Run but with a few more gimmicks. As far as freemium goes, it looks decent enough.

4. Aberdorf

Aberdorf

Sort of off-topic, but the iOS port of the original Crazy Taxi is available for free on iTunes at the moment:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crazy-taxi/id553921725?mt=8

Unless that one is also free-to-play, but it doesn't seem to say anything.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Gameplay seems solid and the music is nice.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because nothing says "crazy" like... driving between the lines on the road.

I suppose it's nice to keep this franchise alive, but one of the appeals of Crazy Taxi back in the day was the fact it offered a city to drive around in. That was before sandbox games and physics engines were commonplace - you could do a great deal more with the license now that technology has moved on, and yet... not a lot has happened.

7. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    I'm hoping this game will turn out great but for free, we can't complain.

Honestly, I'm just very excited to see that SEGA hasn't forgotten about the franchise. If this turns out good, hopefully it will pave the way for the return of more old Dreamcast IPs. *Cough* Jet Set Radio *Cough*.

This is true. At least the original game is available on mobile devices.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Why can't they just make one fully decent looking game for mobile devices. We have quad core CPU phones running fine on the equivalent of two AA batteries and we can't just have a proper, full-gameplay installment to a 17 year old franchise? This looks like a watered down, on rails QTE instead of a driving game. Microtransactions are one thing, but if you can't build a proper game around it, then what's the point?

At least it looks neat, stylistically.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Graphics can't make touch controls fun enough to use for full fledged games. Normal Crazy Taxi just ain't as good without a controller. Besides that, not everyone has phones with high specs.

10. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Well, I don't care in the slightest about this game, but making the original free is definitely good. I already have it on the Gamecube, but I'm not always at home.

11. What the fuck was that. At least the original one is free right now.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This is my fault, I was just yesterday wishing aloud that a new Crazy Taxi game would come out and an evil genie must have heard me. I should have been more specific, I'm sorry.

13. This looks like it could be pretty fun but...

Oh.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    It normally costs US$4.99

It's also free on the Google Play store for Android users too.

15. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    So this is available worldwide now.

I'll give it a go in the morning. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the travesty that was Sonic Jump Fever, what with its microtransactions, premium currency, roadblocks...

Why do I even bother?

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That was an overreaction from me based on how much microtransaction shit Hardlight/SEGA usually puts in their games like with Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump Fever. From what I heard this is actually a pretty decent game that doesn't shove in-game upgrades for you to buy with real money in your face.

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Surprisingly, this game hands out diamonds almost as much as it hands out regular cash. You get 1 diamond for picking someone up the first time, the achievements all have 3 levels which give you diamonds for reachig, and you get 10 diamonds for every level you get, plus I've opened the Mystery Trunk with the required drops ~4 times, and got diamonds at least half those times.

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Just tried the game as it was just released on Android. I actually really liked it, until...
    [​IMG]

Fuck you too SEGA.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You could say those were crazy waiting times.

That or this version of Crazy Taxi takes place in the Gaza strip or something.

20. Jason

Jason

I tried playing for more than ten minutes, and the game wouldn't stop crashing. Uninstalling also crashed, and had to restart the phone, then uninstall, then try to install and play again. It again crashed around ten minutes in. Oy vey.